PFE Reefer running boards (was especially NP)

Tim O'Connor

Tony, I have two PFE diagrams for the R-40-23 and although both
mention FIVE different hand brakes, TWO different running boards
and even FIVE different draft gears (for 50 permutations total),
they don't say which cars got which!

Tim O'Connor

P.S. Gene, the diagrams come from Dick Harley. I think he did make
copies for sale at one time. That's how I got copies.

The PFE diagram book shows that the R-40-23 class had both
Morton and U.S. Gypsum running boards; the R-40-25 had Apex, Morton,
and Gypsum running boards. I don't have handy the breakdown among car
orders to provide car numbers for each application. The reason
specialties like those were not tabulated in the book is that another
party planned, at the time we published the book, to reprint the PFE
diagram book for sale. As many will realize, that reprint never
occurred.

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Tony, I have two PFE diagrams for the R-40-23 and although both
mention FIVE different hand brakes, TWO different running boards
and even FIVE different draft gears (for 50 permutations total),
they don't say which cars got which!
Obviously, TIm, you need way more data. <G>

P.S. Gene, the diagrams come from Dick Harley. I think he did make
copies for sale at one time. That's how I got copies.
Dick has occasionally made available partial or complete PFE diagram books, including a number of pages happily supplied by me. I don't think he now contemplates (or ever has contemplated) being the publisher and distributor of such books to a general audience. I will copy him on this e-mail and see what his reply may be. Maybe we can form up someone else to take this on, if Dick isn't going to do so.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Dick Harley <Dick.Harley@...>

Hello,

Thanks to Tony Thompson, for alerting me to this conversation. As you were
just notified, I have posted a file that I did over a year ago that lists
most of the PFE diagrams I have. I have several diagram collections that
should be published, and that I occasionally make copies of to sell at
historical society conventions or Naperville. I have considered the UPHS,
but need to present them with a finished "package". If the SPH&TS is
interested in doing the PFE stuff, that would be fine too. I have not done
much PFE work in the past year, though a decal project is coming up.

As for Tim O'Connor whimpering about "50 permutations" of R-40-23
specialties, there are definitely a lot more than that, once you consider
all the specialty items. However Tim, if you take a look at your PFE
diagrams, they often list a drawing titled something like "Allocation of
Specialties", and that is the drawing you want. (Please forgive my
generalities here, my library is at home.) That would be drawing 283-C-9862
for the PFE R-40-23 class, and I have that drawing, and thought I had posted
it somewhere before. I could post it again, but that won't happen before
the end of the year, since my time is already overbooked until then. Maybe
someone could remind me later. I don't read many email lists these days,
too much real work to do.

Cheers,
Dick Harley

Tim O'Connor

Dick

Oh, sure, NOW you tell me I need even more drawings to get any
useful information, AFTER you sold me the diagrams. ;-)

So I guess I need a bunch of "allocation of specialties" drawings too.

Tim

P.S. I wasn't whimpering. I was whining. There's a difference!

From: "Dick Harley" <Dick.Harley@wdc.com>
As for Tim O'Connor whimpering about "50 permutations" of R-40-23
specialties, there are definitely a lot more than that, once you consider
all the specialty items. However Tim, if you take a look at your PFE
diagrams, they often list a drawing titled something like "Allocation of
Specialties", and that is the drawing you want. (Please forgive my
generalities here, my library is at home.) That would be drawing 283-C-9862
for the PFE R-40-23 class, and I have that drawing, and thought I had posted
it somewhere before. I could post it again, but that won't happen before
the end of the year, since my time is already overbooked until then. Maybe
someone could remind me later. I don't read many email lists these days,
too much real work to do.

Dick Harley <Dick.Harley@...>

Tim,

Oh sure, and NOW you tell me YOU wanted USEFUL information.
Some people sure are fussy.

Cheers,
Dick Harley