Sheet Lead

WJNaumann@...

I buy the biggest fishing sinker I can find because of its low cost per
weight, melt it with a MAPP torch into a metal pan, cut it with a scissors and
hammer it to shape.

It is better to use tungsten which is almost twice as heavy. It has become
popular as a nontoxic fishing weight. Search the web for "tungsten fishing
weight." The smallest I have seen is 0.25" diameter by 0.5" long. One site says
they are sold at Walmart. I get them on line for $0.50 a piece.
http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/default.asp

Tungsten is difficult to cut or machine but it can be ground with a suitable
(green) wheel. It is easier to embed it in lead. Either drill holes in an
existing fitted lead weight or hammer the lead around the tungsten and trim the
lead to fit with a knife.

Keep RRing

walter

allmansipe <lallman@...>

Hello

Does anyone know of a source for sheet lead at a reasonable price? The
largest metal scrap dealer in my town won't sell it to me because of
liability issues (we do live in litigous times).

Thanks and
Keep It On The Track!
Len Allman

Jack Burgess <jack@...>

Plumbers still use it (as far as I know) in our area (Bay Area) to seal roof
penetrations.

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

Schuyler Larrabee

Did youi try the hardware store? It's used as flashing. Just tell them you have a leak, and need
to fix that!

SGL

Does anyone know of a source for sheet lead at a reasonable
price? The largest metal scrap dealer in my town won't sell
it to me because of liability issues (we do live in litigous times).

Thanks and
Keep It On The Track!
Len Allman

Eugene Deimling <losgatos48@...>

Jack:

I used to buy it at Orchard Supply in downtown San Jose. They don't sell it
any more due to health risk issues. I was able to get some out of state and
smuggle it in. I am going to try to R.V. Cloud wholesale plumbing supply in
Campbell and see if they have it for retail sale.

Gene Deimling