Is this question allowed?


eabracher@...
 

In a message dated 12/22/05 6:02:23 PM, jimbetz@jimbetz.com writes:


Ah yes, the lowly crummy ... not a revenue car
some did haul LCL freight.

eric


Brian Termunde
 

In a message dated 12/22/2005 7:36:29 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
ljack70117@adelphia.net writes:

When a conductor on the UN Pac listed his loads and empties in his train, he
always counted his caboose as a load.


---> and if engine where counted (which I know were not), the conductor
would have counted them as MT's! <G> Of course, the head-end crew would probably
have agreed thinking he was 'full of it'! <VBG>


Take Care!

Brian R. Termunde
West Jordan, Utah

"Ship and Travel the Grand Canyon Line!"
Grand Canyon Railway
Utah District


Jim Betz
 

Are how to modelling questions about cabooses allowed on this
list? Specifically I have a question about lighting techniques
(not prototype specific but a "how would you do this?" question).
- Jim in San Jose
Ah yes, the lowly crummy ... not a revenue car and not a passenger car ...


ljack70117@...
 

On Dec 22, 2005, at 9:05 PM, eabracher@aol.com wrote:


In a message dated 12/22/05 6:02:23 PM, jimbetz@jimbetz.com writes:


Ah yes, the lowly crummy ... not a revenue car
some did haul LCL freight.

eric
When a conductor on the UN Pac listed his loads and empties in his train, he always counted his caboose as a load.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@adelphia.net


Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>
 

ljack70117@adelphia.net wrote:


On Dec 22, 2005, at 9:05 PM, eabracher@aol.com wrote:


In a message dated 12/22/05 6:02:23 PM, jimbetz@jimbetz.com writes:


Ah yes, the lowly crummy ... not a revenue car
some did haul LCL freight.

eric
When a conductor on the UN Pac listed his loads and empties in his train, he always counted his caboose as a load.
As did the SOU and T&NO for internal reporting - indeed, I suspect that most roads considered cabooses as loads, but, for ICC Statistical Reporting, Caboose Miles were separated from Other Loaded Freight Car Miles.

Tim Gilbert


Tony Thompson
 

Jim Betz wrote:
Are how to modelling questions about cabooses allowed on this
list? Specifically I have a question about lighting techniques
(not prototype specific but a "how would you do this?" question).
I'm not the moderator, Jim, but it's a freight car as far as I'm concerned.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history


David J. Starr <dstarrboston@...>
 

Jim Betz wrote:
Are how to modelling questions about cabooses allowed on this
list? Specifically I have a question about lighting techniques
(not prototype specific but a "how would you do this?" question).
- Jim in San Jose
Ah yes, the lowly crummy ... not a revenue car and not a passenger car ...
I lit a caboose once upon a time. I got a 0.47 FARAD capacitor from All Electronics and did a home brew circuit to charge it and run a 1.5 volt lamp. All that worked, the cap held enough juice to keep the lamp lit for some 20 seconds after track power was removed.
I made wheel wipers from phosphor bronze weather strip and that works kinda. After a lot of tinkering and bending I got the tension right to keep the lights lighting. But the friction drag from the wipers was really bad. I coupled the caboose onto one of Andy Miller's coal trains and the wiper drag was so bad the train could not make the grade. And that was with one of Andy's solid lead PRR steamers on the point.
My advice is to go with axle wipers. The diameter of the wheel gives leverage to turn the axle reducing the overall friction drag.

David Starr


Paul Hillman
 

Jim Betz wrote:

"Ah yes, the lowly crummy ... not a revenue car and not a passenger car .."

Question,....,

How did the caboose get the name "crummy"??

Paul Hillman

----- Original Message -----
From: David J. Starr<mailto:dstarrboston@verizon.net>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com<mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Is this question allowed?


Jim Betz wrote:
> Are how to modelling questions about cabooses allowed on this
> list? Specifically I have a question about lighting techniques
> (not prototype specific but a "how would you do this?" question).
> - Jim in San Jose
> Ah yes, the lowly crummy ... not a revenue car and not a passenger car ...