UP "Be Specific" slogan ...

oliver

Just wonderng when the this UP slogan first came into widespread use?
I've got a Trix ACR 40' B-50-27 that I'd like to use, but I fear that
my late 1954 era is too early for this scheme. Anyone stripped one of
these cars? What did you use?
Thanks in advance
Stefan Lerche'
Duncan, BC

Tim O'Connor

Be Specific was first used in 1949. There was experimentation
from 1950-1951. In 1951 the two lines were separated by 18".

At 01:19 PM 2/4/2006, you wrote:
Just wonderng when the this UP slogan first came into widespread use?
I've got a Trix ACR 40' B-50-27 that I'd like to use, but I fear that
my late 1954 era is too early for this scheme. Anyone stripped one of
these cars? What did you use?
Thanks in advance
Stefan Lerche'
Duncan, BC

Robert Daniels

According to Sunshine Models Prototype Data Sheet #31A, the "Be Specific" slogan came into use in late 1949. There is also a December 1950 photo of a B-50-33 boxcar carrying the slogan.

Rob Daniels
New York, NY

stefanelaine <stefanelaine@...> wrote:
Just wonderng when the this UP slogan first came into widespread use?
I've got a Trix ACR 40' B-50-27 that I'd like to use, but I fear that
my late 1954 era is too early for this scheme. Anyone stripped one of
these cars? What did you use?
Thanks in advance
Stefan Lerche'
Duncan, BC

Train travel Freight car Canada train travel Train travel in italy North american

---------------------------------

---------------------------------

jaley <jaley@...>

On Feb 4, 6:19pm, stefanelaine wrote:
Subject: [STMFC] UP "Be Specific" slogan ...
Just wonderng when the this UP slogan first came into widespread use?
I've got a Trix ACR 40' B-50-27 that I'd like to use, but I fear that
my late 1954 era is too early for this scheme. Anyone stripped one of
these cars? What did you use?
Thanks in advance
Stefan Lerche'
Duncan, BC
Stefan,

According to the article, "BOX AND AUTO CAR LETTERING 1926-56" by
Richard Hendrickson, published in the UPHS "The Streamliner" Vol. 1, No.
3,

1950-1953--
'BE SPECIFIC' APPEARS

In 1950 the Union Pacific adopted a new slogan to replace "Serves All
The West." Looking ahead to an era of declining passenger traffic and
increasing dependence on freight revenues, the UP began urging shippers to
"Be Specific--Ship 'Union Pacific'." ... the new slogan was applied to
the left side of each car, like the one it replaced, while "Road Of The
Streamliners" continued to be stenciled on the right side... This
combination of old and new slogans was used on both new and repainted cars
in the early 1950s. All other lettering remained unchanged until 1952...

1953-1957--
'STREAMLINERS' DISAPPEARS

...a decision was made to discontinue the car-side promotion of the
"Streamliners" theme and stencil and (sic) the "Be Specific--Ship 'Union
Pacific'" legend on both sides of each car, a change that coincided with
the delivery of the B-50-43 box cars.

Regards,

-Jeff

--
Jeff Aley jaley@...
DPG Chipsets Product Engineering

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

I would add to the replies about this slogan that the Metcalfe book on UP frt cars shows a photo of three box cars lined up to demonstrate 3 versions of the "Be Specific" slogan. Each has a different spacing between "Be Specific" and "Ship Union Pacific". The one with 18" spacing was chosen for cars painted after Dec 1950. The "Be Specific" slogan, however, was also moved on the side of the car at various times....being lowered. It is interesting that the B-50-41 box car was lettered with all 3 forms of the "Be Specific" slogan and with different positions on the car. Photos of the different forms and positions are shown on B-50-41 in Metcalfe's book. 3500 cars of this class were built during 1950/51, the period when changes to this slogan were occurring.

Mike Brock