Marklin/Trix R-40-14's

David Ball

Hi Guy

What is the quality/accuracy of the Marklin/Trix R-40-14's like? (ignore the
paint, that will go).

Ta

David Ball

Arnold van Heyst

This reeferset is a nice one to have.
Very good detail,
alltought the roofwalk is a bit shorter than it should be.
If you want some photo's please mail me, and i will try.

Arnold van Heyst.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "David Ball" <davidball@...> wrote:

Hi Guy

What is the quality/accuracy of the Marklin/Trix R-40-14's like?
(ignore the
paint, that will go).

Ta

David Ball

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

David Ball asked:
"What is the quality/accuracy of the Marklin/Trix R-40-14's like?"

Arnold van Heyst answered:
"This reeferset is a nice one to have. Very good detail, although the
roofwalk is a bit shorter than it should be."

The running board discrepancy is minor compared to the ice hatches,
which are grossly undersized. This is inexcusable for a $32.00 model,
particularly when $5 Athearn reefers get the hatch size correct (if
not the hardware).

Ben Hom

David Ball

Thanks Ben and Arnold

I'm assuming the hatches can be replaced easily? (ie, they're not moulded
on).

I agree that for the price I would expect better accuracy. However at the
end of the day, if the other details are correct it would still be the best
starting point for an R-40-14.

Ta

David Ball

_____

"What is the quality/accuracy of the Marklin/Trix R-40-14's like?"

Arnold van Heyst answered:
"This reeferset is a nice one to have. Very good detail, although the
roofwalk is a bit shorter than it should be."

The running board discrepancy is minor compared to the ice hatches,
which are grossly undersized. This is inexcusable for a $32.00 model,
particularly when $5 Athearn reefers get the hatch size correct (if
not the hardware).

Ben Hom

Train
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Train+travel&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freight
+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5&s
=107&.sig=ThjIzsvLGHyuil6dLaLY-g> travel Freight
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Freight+car&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freight+
car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5&s=
107&.sig=6EOh7hT6stDpWVhIVo3DSg> car Canada
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Canada+train+travel&w1=Train+travel&w2=
Freight+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+america
n&c=5&s=107&.sig=n3C1Pv8RSaJFaT7JW4u8_A> train travel
Train
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Train+travel+in+italy&w1=Train+travel&w
2=Freight+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+ameri
can&c=5&s=107&.sig=XAiaJ8zeKYmEvLL4zQxTOQ> travel in italy North
<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=North+american&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freig
ht+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5
&s=107&.sig=hg2t3ACQguvSVbdQvlSCLg> american

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

the web.

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

_____

mopacfirst

Has anyone tried using the IM R-40-10 with Detail Associates white
plastic ends? These are the ends that were originally designed for
the Athearn car, and I know they're two or three scale inches too
narrow for the IM R-40-23 (I once thought about this conversion too,
but didn't do it).
The IM kit has the beveled corners to work with the square corner
ends, but the Detail Associates W-section end has its own rivets so
it might be possible to trim the sides back just a bit.
Or is this nuts?

Ron Merrick

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...> wrote:

David Ball asked:
"What is the quality/accuracy of the Marklin/Trix R-40-14's like?"

The running board discrepancy is minor compared to the ice hatches,
which are grossly undersized. <snip>

Ben Hom

David Ball

That was (broadly) the next question I was going to ask!

Another option would be the Terry's ends from the R-30-18, etc kits.
I'm not at home at the moment, but I look at this briefly the other
night. I can't remember the how the width compared to the IM R-40-
10, but I remember that they were a few scale inches too long.
However from memory this seemed to be in the lower plate below the
ribs, so with a bit of slicing and rejoining, they could work

The big quest may be if they are available separately. If you need to
sacrifice a whole kit, then there wouldn't be any cost advantages
over the Trix price (assuming you can correct the discrepancies).

Cheers

David Ball

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "mopacfirst" <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

Has anyone tried using the IM R-40-10 with Detail Associates white
plastic ends? These are the ends that were originally designed for
the Athearn car, and I know they're two or three scale inches too
narrow for the IM R-40-23 (I once thought about this conversion
too,
but didn't do it).
The IM kit has the beveled corners to work with the square corner
ends, but the Detail Associates W-section end has its own rivets so
it might be possible to trim the sides back just a bit.
Or is this nuts?

Ron Merrick

Andy Carlson

David,
I have a lot of spare parts for Terry's various
reefers.If you want a pair of ends (or any other
part), State-side modelers can get a pair of the ends
for $3.00, postpaid.
contact me at midcentury@sbcglobal.net off-list,
please.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

<ron.merrick@...> wrote:

Has anyone tried using the IM R-40-10 with Detail
Associates white
plastic ends? These are the ends that were
originally designed for
the Athearn car, and I know they're two or three
scale inches too
narrow for the IM R-40-23 (I once thought about
this conversion
too,
but didn't do it).
The IM kit has the beveled corners to work with
the square corner
ends, but the Detail Associates W-section end has
its own rivets so
it might be possible to trim the sides back just a
bit.
Or is this nuts?

Ron Merrick

Yahoo! Groups Links