From: "Jared Harper" <harper-brown@juno.com>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 2:45 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Dullcote problem

This is not a freight car question so perhaps someone could answer me
off list. I completed the Eskridge grain elevator that some of you saw
at Cocoa Beach, but decided a portion of the roof needed more
weathering. I applied more artist's oils and let them dry. I then
sprayed the roof with Dullcote as I had other portions of the model.
With the newly sprayed Dullcote dry the roof has a spotty appearance
at certain viewing angles. Does anyone have an idea as to the cause?

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Yahoo! Groups Links

Andy Carlson

If you were using rattle can Dullcoat, then I think I
know the problem. I have given up on the aerosol
version of Dullcoat because it was always coming out
blotched. Air brushing is the best way to apply
Dullcoat.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

mudhen@...

On 11 Feb 2006 at 19:45, Jared Harper wrote:

With the newly sprayed Dullcote dry the roof has a spotty appearance
at certain viewing angles. Does anyone have an idea as to the cause?
If you spray something that's a little more to the glossy side,
the spotty appearance will disappear.

Chris Zygmunt
Railshop Inc.

vyoung5622@...

Jared,

I don't know the answer to your problem with Dullcote, but it seems like
there was a lot of discussion in the model railroad press about using alcohol on
Dullcote and obtaining results similar to yours. I don't know how you could
search for this in the Model Railroad Magazine Index, but IIRC, the
discussion took place during the first six months or so of 1991. I'll try to find
some reference to it in my old magazines.

Virgil Young
Amarillo, TX
_vyoung5622@aol.com_ (mailto:vyoung5622@aol.com)

Jared Harper <harper-brown@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "armand premo" <armprem@...> wrote:

Jared,It is a nice model.Your problem was probably caused by
moisture.It
has happened to me a few times.Hope this helps.Armand Premo
What moisture and how do I fix it?

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Jared Harper <harper-brown@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

If you were using rattle can Dullcoat, then I think I
know the problem. I have given up on the aerosol
version of Dullcoat because it was always coming out
blotched. Air brushing is the best way to apply
Dullcoat.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
Yes, I am using rattle can dullcote and have for years. I have never
had this problem before. I need to know the cause and how to fix it.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Ned Carey <nedspam@...>

With the newly sprayed Dullcote dry the roof has a spotty appearance
at certain viewing angles. Does anyone have an idea as to the cause?
Jared,

Mike Rose does a fading technique where he sprays with dullcoat and then sprays with alcohol which causes a blushing (whitish coloration) of the dullcoat. Perhaps this is what happened somehow.

He says his technique is reversable by simply spraying more dullcoat and the blushing disapears. Perhaps your solution is to simply respray with more dullcoat. However I would do a test sample first.

Another PFA (plucked from air) guess as to the problem is the surface wasn't clean or totally dry from the oils. The dullcoat may have "sealed in" the problem. A possible solution is simply more weathering to hide / blend the problem. Perhaps just some chalks.

Ned Carey

armprem

Jared,I tend to wait a day or so and try again.It has been my experience
that the dull coat is OK,but is reacting to too much moisture in the air at
the time you are spraying.To fix it try semi gloss and then another
overspray with dullcoat.It works for me.Good luck.Armand Premo

Jared,It is a nice model.Your problem was probably caused by
moisture.It
has happened to me a few times.Hope this helps.Armand Premo
What moisture and how do I fix it?

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Yahoo! Groups Links

Gregg Mahlkov <mahlkov@...>

Jared,

The cause is quite simple, it is the humidity in the air. As you spray the Dullcote, its temperature drops because the pressure in the can is dropping. This causes tiny droplets of moisture in the air to cling to the droplets of Dullcote, causing the "blushing" or "milky" spots.

I used to spray in a "Florida room" at the back to the house I rented and had to wait for an exceptionally dry day to spray Dullcote. Since I built my house, my spray painting is done in a heated and air conditioned room above the garage and I have had no further troubles with Dullcote from a "spray bomb"

Both houses are within 1500 feet of the Gulf of Mexico, so humidity is a problem.

Gregg Mahlkov
Florida's Forgotten Coast

----------
Jared Harper asks:

Yes, I am using rattle can dullcote and have for years. I have never
had this problem before. I need to know the cause and how to fix it.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael Watnoski

Greetings,

Another possible source of your problem might just be a dirty
nozzle on the spray can, causing a bit of spitting. A cure for
this is to buy a spray can of carburetor cleaner. Spray the
cleaner through the dullcoat nozzle after each use. This will
also work with most spray paints.

Michael