Decals.

Ilcentral@...

Ben,
I have used Walthers setting solutions for years I cut it 50\50 with
distilled water.
I have never had a problem using thin film decals.
You are right though if you use it full strength out of the bottle you will
burn the decal.

John Pitts

Arnold van Heyst

Sirs,

I know there are some solvents available that will fix a decal to it's
surface.
But what was it?
Who help me?

Arnold van Heyst
Netherlands.

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Arnold van Heyst asked:
"I know there are some solvents available that will fix a decal to
its surface. But what was it?"

There are three products widely used by both scale modelers and
model railroaders:

Walthers Solvaset
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/904-470

Champ Decal-Set
http://www.minot.com/~champ/other.htm

Microscale Micro-Sol and Micro-Set
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/460-105
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/460-104

The Walthers and Champ setting solutions are formulated for older
decals with thicker film and are very strong. DO NOT USE THESE FOR
INITIAL APPLICATION OF THINFILM DECALS. However, they can be
carefully used for final working of thinfilm decals.

Micro-Sol and Micro-Set are designed specifically for Microscale's
decals and work very well with them and other thinfilm decals;
however, they don't touch thicker decals.

I recommend keeping a supply of Solvaset or Decal Set and the
Microscale products on hand if you're serious about decalling
models. See Ted Culotta's Essential Freight Cars sidebar "Applying
Decals" in the June 2003 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman for more
information.

Ben Hom

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Ilcentral@... wrote:

Ben,
I have used Walthers setting solutions for years I cut it 50&#92;50 with
distilled water.
I have never had a problem using thin film decals.
You are right though if you use it full strength out of the bottle
you will
burn the decal.

John Pitts
Using distilled water is best for soaking decals, too, especially in
areas of very hard water. As distilled water evaporates it leaves
nothing behind while hard water such as we have here in El Paso leaves
a white crust behind. A gallon jug of distilled water costs 50 cents
to a dollar and lasts me for years.

Gene Green

Arnold van Heyst

Someone willing to make scans of this artikel?

Arnold van Heyst.

I recommend keeping a supply of Solvaset or Decal Set and the
Microscale products on hand if you're serious about decalling
models. See Ted Culotta's Essential Freight Cars sidebar "Applying
Decals" in the June 2003 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman for more
information.

jerryglow2

http://www.carstens-publications.com/backiss/rm_0603.html

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@..., "Arnold" <mrdata1968@...> wrote:

Someone willing to make scans of this artikel?

Arnold van Heyst.

I recommend keeping a supply of Solvaset or Decal Set and the
Microscale products on hand if you're serious about decalling
models. See Ted Culotta's Essential Freight Cars sidebar "Applying
Decals" in the June 2003 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman for
more
information.

jaley <jaley@...>

On Feb 12, 3:13pm, benjaminfrank_hom wrote:
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Decals.
Arnold van Heyst asked:
"I know there are some solvents available that will fix a decal to
its surface. But what was it?"

There are three products widely used by both scale modelers and
model railroaders:

Walthers Solvaset
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/904-470

Champ Decal-Set
http://www.minot.com/~champ/other.htm

Microscale Micro-Sol and Micro-Set
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/460-105
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/460-104
Polly-Scale also makes a pair of decal solutions that I've used
successfully over Polly-Scale (water-based) paint with Microscale decals.

Regards,

-Jeff

--
Jeff Aley jaley@...