Topics

TOFC tie downs was Re: TC RPM

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

am still looking for the "wenches" on your M&StL TOFC flat...must the
retiring kind seldom seen outside of the midwest ;-)
Chris Frissell
Polson, MT
Chris,
I don't know much about TOFC flat cars. Does it show??? The wenches
are accually brake cylinders for Athearn F unit trucks.
Clark Propst

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

It has been brought to my attention that the trailer flats had
winches. The wenches were over in the saloon.
There's egg on my face, does it show??
Clark Propst

leakinmywaders

Clark: Kidding aside, I would love to hear how you built the side
rails on the TOFC flat, which it looks like you've done a very nice
job on. I have been meaning to build some NP cars of similar design,
but been putting them off partly because the construction details of
the side rails aren't clear in prototype photos, and partly because
I've been concerned about how to shape and allign the posts precisely
enough that the rails sit true. How'd you do it? I've been
considering building a jig. Thanks,

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

I would love to hear how you built the side
rails on the TOFC flat,
Chris Frissell
Polson, MT
Chris I built the model several years ago. I think I cut bits of
styrene for the uprights in the stack pockets. I remember I had to
file them thinner to make them fit inside. Then I laid a piece of code
75 PECO rail on top. That's it! You need to know I build models from
photos, never use a ruler, I have no idea if the railing are anywhere
close to scale, but they look like the ones in the photos.
Clark Propst
PS Were you one of the fellas there from MT?

leakinmywaders

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "rockroll50401" <cepropst@...> wrote:
....You need to know I build models from
photos, never use a ruler, I have no idea if the railing are anywhere
close to scale, but they look like the ones in the photos.
Well, that works, because you have such a great eye for what you're
modeling. Some of us can look at a photo a hundred times and still not
see what's there. And if you build with your eyes glued to calipers
and a ruler, sometimes in the end, when it's too late, your holistic
eye lets you know you got a measurement wrong. I've been learning a
lot messing with calipers lately, but I tend to favor your more
holistic approach too. Mostly I drag the calipers out to try and
figure out dimensionally why something I drew or made looks out of
proportion compared to a photograph of the prototype. And of course
rulers are handy for making straight cuts...

Guess I need to jump in and just finagle those siderails based on my
eye and plausible practice and see how they come out. But if I'm not
mistaken, on the NP 52'6" TOFC flats the posts appear to have been
contoured, or there was some other sort of fitting that made the rails
nestle into them- giving the rails the appearance of being clamped or
fitted, rather than just butted onto the post tops. Uncertainty about
that is what's slowed me down. I think Tim O'C. has groused about this
question a few times too. The best photo have so far of of the rails
on the NP cars came from him, though, so he's been on the trail.

Nope I wasn't there, I've just been looking at the 'net photos posted
of your cars. Maybe I'll get to Naperville this year though. Thanks
and best,

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT