interesting techique

Eric

I was reading an issue of Fine Scale Modeler and there was an article in which a modeler made
castings out of bismith and then had them plated. Afterwards, he melted out the bismith and used the
resulting plated metal shapes.

I thought this might be a useful techique for freight car modeling. How about using it to make
replacement pressed steel car ends? Anyone have any other ideas?

Eric Petersson

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

jerryglow2

Some roads (I know MP did) converted old boxcars into pulpwood flats
so the 2 sided detail on the ends would be critical for the right
look. Doors would be another thing if modeling them open.

Jerry Glow

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Eric <newyorkcentralfan@...> wrote:

I was reading an issue of Fine Scale Modeler and there was an
article in which a modeler made
castings out of bismith and then had them plated. Afterwards, he
melted out the bismith and used the
resulting plated metal shapes.

I thought this might be a useful techique for freight car
modeling. How about using it to make
replacement pressed steel car ends? Anyone have any other ideas?

Eric Petersson

Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton <smokeandsteam@...>

This process is usually known as electroforming: I seem to remember it being
advocated in the one of the UK magazines in the seventies as an alternative
to etching. In fact you could probably do it at home with a copper sulphate
solution and a simple DC power supply and get lovely copper ends or even
sides for cars like gondolas - copper would be really easy to distress with
a selection of small blunt instruments to give that well used look.

Rather than using neat bismuth it’s probably easier to get hold of Cerrobend
(Wood’s Metal) to make the one-shot electroforming moulds from your masters
it should eb available from engineering suppliers.

Aidrian

Wondering about the state of the world when the spell checker wants me to
replace “sulphate” with “caliphate”…