Arrowhead Tank Cars

Keith Jordan

Does anybody have information on Arrowhead-Puritas Waters' water service
tank cars? I'm not referring to the "bottle" cars, the ones with the tanks
on flat cars.

It appears there were some cars in dedicated water service as shown on page
24 of P. Allen Copeland's "Pacific Electric in Color," volume 2. The cars
look to be 10-12K gal. black tank cars, reporting marks unknown. APWX was
the Arrowhead-Puritas' reporting mark until about 1950.

Any photos or additional info? I'm also looking for early 1950s vintage
delivery truck images. A search of the list and various Google searches have
dried up. Hah!

Thanks,

Keith Jordan

Shawn Beckert

Keith Jordan asked:

Any photos or additional info? I'm also looking for early 1950s
vintage
delivery truck images. A search of the list and various Google
searches have
dried up. Hah!
You might try contacting Arrowhead directly to see if they have
something:

http://www.arrowheadwater.com/AboutUs/ContactUs.aspx

If that doesn't work, talk to these guys:

http://www.aths.org/

They have a photo archive that's large, and getting larger.

Shawn Beckert

David Ball

I have only seen one photo of the "standard" tanks in the water service
where the reporting marks a readable, and even then it was only one car. It
was GATX car, number 21760. This is on pg 77 of Vol 2 (Eastern District)
Donald Dukes Pacific Electric Books.

They only other photo that has the reporting marks remotely visible is one
of the pics of the last run. Its possible that there is a "XT". It can be
found here, about a two-thirds of the down :
HYPERLINK
"http://www.geocities.com/gatewaycityca/Arrowhead_Line.html"http://www.geoci
ties.com/gatewaycityca/Arrowhead_Line.html

I have never seen any mention of it, but my guess would be that these cars
were in more or less in captive shuttle service just like the bottle cars,
even if just for extended periods of time. Standard tanks seem to have first
appeared right after WWII, and may have been combination of the bottle cars
waring our and an increase in demand. Certainly by the last years of service
it was only these standard tanks in service.
Cheers

David Ball
(Showing his prototype interest)

_____

Does anybody have information on Arrowhead-Puritas Waters' water service
tank cars? I'm not referring to the "bottle" cars, the ones with the tanks
on flat cars.

It appears there were some cars in dedicated water service as shown on page
24 of P. Allen Copeland's "Pacific Electric in Color," volume 2. The cars
look to be 10-12K gal. black tank cars, reporting marks unknown. APWX was
the Arrowhead-Puritas' reporting mark until about 1950.

Any photos or additional info? I'm also looking for early 1950s vintage
delivery truck images. A search of the list and various Google searches have
dried up. Hah!

Thanks,

Keith Jordan

HYPERLINK
"http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Train+travel&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freight
+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5&s
=107&.sig=ThjIzsvLGHyuil6dLaLY-g"Train travel HYPERLINK
"http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Freight+car&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freight+
car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5&s=
107&.sig=6EOh7hT6stDpWVhIVo3DSg"Freight car HYPERLINK
"http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Canada+train+travel&w1=Train+travel&w2=
Freight+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+america
n&c=5&s=107&.sig=n3C1Pv8RSaJFaT7JW4u8_A"Canada train travel
HYPERLINK
"http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Train+travel+in+italy&w1=Train+travel&w
2=Freight+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+ameri
can&c=5&s=107&.sig=XAiaJ8zeKYmEvLL4zQxTOQ"Train travel in italy
HYPERLINK
"http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=North+american&w1=Train+travel&w2=Freig
ht+car&w3=Canada+train+travel&w4=Train+travel+in+italy&w5=North+american&c=5
&s=107&.sig=hg2t3ACQguvSVbdQvlSCLg"North american

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

* Visit your group "HYPERLINK
"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC"STMFC" on the web.