URTX 35521 was MDT reefer

dickybee2000 <rberry634@...>

I have Bob's Photo #FURTX 6 of URTX 35521 purchased from him in
Naperville a couple of years ago. It was photographed on 9-14-51 in
Fayetteville, N.C.

Richard Berry
Warsaw, Indiana

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

The despatch end wasn't introduced that early so if the photo date is correct, the adjacent car
is probably not MDT

Roger Hinman

On Feb 24, 2006, at 3:53 PM, dickybee2000 wrote:

I have Bob's Photo #FURTX 6 of URTX 35521 purchased from him in
Naperville a couple of years ago. It was photographed on 9-14-51 in
Fayetteville, N.C.

Richard Berry
Warsaw, Indiana

Yahoo! Groups Links

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Feb 24, 2006, at 7:49 PM, Roger Hinman wrote:

The despatch end wasn't introduced that early so if the photo date is
correct, the adjacent car
is probably not MDT

Roger Hinman
On Feb 24, 2006, at 3:53 PM, dickybee2000 wrote:

I have Bob's Photo #FURTX 6 of URTX 35521 purchased from him in
Naperville a couple of years ago. It was photographed on 9-14-51 in
Fayetteville, N.C.
URTX 35521 is a General American product based upon the General American "standard" steel refrigerator first introduced in 1936. The first cars had articulated hinges and flat riveted ends and roofs. Later cars, like URTX 35521, had the ends with the rectangular corrugations (similar to the MDT corrugation, though not the same to my eye) in the ends and more traditional hinges, but retained the flat roofs. These cars were originally leased to the Milwaukee. By the early 1950s many were being leased to M&StL. Many, maybe all, were rebuilt in the 1950s with what appear to be Improved Dreadnaught ends and Murphy diagonal panel roofs. These rebuilds were leased to packing companies among other lessees.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
645 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, CT 06437
info@...
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

thanks for correct identifying this; another feature of the despatch end
was a 5-3-1 corrugation whereas I believe the referenced car is 4-4

roger Hinman

On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:01 PM, Ted Culotta wrote:

[...]

buchwaldfam <duff@...>

Thanks to everyone for the information.
Either I overlooked that one (sort of unlikely... I did a BUNCH
of damage to my bank account during my walk through the URTX folder!
;> ) or it was one of the empty slots in the folder.
If it was an empty slot, does anyone know if Bob's photo will
make a new print if you give them a negative number? Or is it a matter
of once the prints are gone, they're gone?

Thanks again!
Phil Buchwald

--- In STMFC@..., Roger Hinman <rhinman@...> wrote:

[...]

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Phil.

Bob does his photos in batch runs, so if you know you will at a show he attends in 3 to 6 months in advance, that is the time to send him a note. Batch runs can be rearranged with enough notice.

Fred Freitas
New England Chapter / PRRT&HS

buchwaldfam <duff@...> wrote:
[...]

Train travel Freight car Canada train travel Train travel in italy North american

---------------------------------

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Mail

buchwaldfam <duff@...>

There's an article in the September, 2001 Railmodel Journal which
shows how Stan Rydarowicz kitbashed one of the 1936 style cars. The
article has some good photos of an M&StL and a CMStP&P car from this
original series. The car marked for the Milwaukee is not identified by
number and there aren't enough of the markings showing through the
grime to pull the number from the photo.
Moving forward to the series which includes URTX 35521: the bit
of this later series car that shows up on the photo has double columns
of rivets at each sidewall panel joint, like a PFE R-40-10, etc. Also,
the bolster is "Tabbed" like an AAR box car. There isn't enough
showing that I can see the door, so I can't see the hinges. However,
from the rivet patterns, the tabs, and Ted's description of the
hinges on the later cars, would the side panels (including the door
hardware) from an Intermountain R-40-10/20/23 be correct?

Thanks,
Phil Buchwald

--- In STMFC@..., Ted Culotta <tculotta@...> wrote:

[...]

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., "buchwaldfam" <duff@...> asked:
...does anyone know if Bob's photo will
make a new print if you give them a negative number? Or is it a
matter
of once the prints are gone, they're gone?
Bob's Photos prints now have negative numbers?

Has anyone recently asked Bob or his son about cataloging his huge
collection of negatives?

I heard (through this group) that Bob wanted to cut back on
traveling.

3 or 4 years ago I bought prints from a list Richard Hendrickson and
others assembled. Most of the prints arrived eventually so at that
time negatives were being reprinted (I got credit for the prints
that never showed up).

Within the last year someone in the group wrote that Bob usually
printed from his most recently acquired negatives.

If someone internet saavy (like a high schooler) catalogued the new
prints as they are made I'd buy steam era prints from Bob through
the mail.

Ed

Patrick Wider <pwider@...>

I'm going to load a photo of an example of a GATC steel reefer buit in April 1939 (GARX
8009) that has these ends.

Pat Wider