Charlie Winters

Chet French <cfrench@...>

Group,

I just received an email stating that Charlie Winters died in a
hospital Friday morning. No other details. Charlie was a switchman on
the Wabash at North Kansas City for years and photographed freight cars
during the 1940's and 1950's.

Chet French
Dixon, IL

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

Charlie Winters died<
Charlie had a fantastic amount of steam era photographs. Does anyone
know how the collection is to be disposed of?

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 25, 2006, at 11:16 AM, Chet French wrote:

I just received an email stating that Charlie Winters died in a
hospital Friday morning.  No other details.  Charlie was a switchman
on
the Wabash at North Kansas City for years and photographed freight
cars
during the 1940's and 1950's.
That's sad news, though Charlie lived to a ripe old age before
answering the call to the great freight yard in the sky. Most (if not
all) of his freight car photos were from negs shot by the late George
Sisk, who was the Kansas City freight agent for the Chicago, South
Shore and South Bend, and who sometimes built O scale freight car
models for his best customers. Charlie once told me that he and the
other KC area railfans/photographers tended to be impatient when George
would stop to shoot freight cars, as the rest of them were always in a
hurry to get to the roundhouse, but that in later years prints of
Sisk's freight car photos sold in much larger numbers than any of
Charlie's own locomotive shots.

Charlie was generous about sharing prints from the many negs in his
collection and in my dealings with him he was always a true gentleman.
And as one of the earliest photo collectors (along with Will Whittaker,
who also died recently) to make a substantial body of freight car
photos readily available, he played a major role in the development of
serious freight car research and modeling, so he has left a substantial
legacy.

Richard Hendrickson

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., "Jon Miller" <atsf@...> wrote:
Charlie had a fantastic amount of steam era photographs. Does
anyone
know how the collection is to be disposed of?
Unfortunately the collection has been picked over for several years.

I don't remember who told me, but 4-6 other men borrowed negatives
from Charlie. The negatives weren't returned to the collection in an
orderly fashion if they were returned at all.

It may take a few weeks but I'll ask Harold Vollrath as to the
disposition of the collection.

Sometimes Joe Collias follows this group so maybe we'll have a quicker
answer.

Ed Mines