Information wanted on B&O hoppers

ron christensen

Joe Piersen of the CNWHS asked me to look for information on
the following cars. Some of these found a second home on the
C&NW
please see if anybody on the freight car group has any modeling
information on the ex-B&O  135000 series, 2-bay, open hoppers.
Which commercial models?  Articles? The prototypes were
mostly built in the 1940 time period. They may have been
renumbered on the B&O since being built.
Ron Christensen

rwitt_2000 <rmwitt@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "rxensen" <rxensen@...> wrote:

Joe Piersen of the CNWHS asked me to look for information on
the following cars. Some of these found a second home on the
C&NW please see if anybody on the freight car group has any modeling
information on the ex-B&O 135000 series, 2-bay, open hoppers.
Which commercial models? Articles? The prototypes were
mostly built in the 1940 time period. They may have been
renumbered on the B&O since being built.
Ron Christensen
Ron,

The original B&O series 135000 to 135999 were 4-bay coke cars class
W-1 built in 1911.

The second series B&O 135800 to 135999, B&O/C&O Class H-5, were ex-C&O
off-set twin hoppers built between 1936 to 1944 and rebuilt between
1949 and 1956 by the C&O into stake-side twin hoppers some of which
were transferred to the B&O in the early 1960s. The cars transferred
to the C&NW after 1960 and thus are beyond the time period of STMFC group.

Your friend can purchase the 1970 B&O/C&O Diagram book from the B&OHS
that has all the information about these hopper cars.

The Walthers (ex-Train-Miniature) HO scale PS-3 hopper is probably the
closest model for the rebuilt car. Atlas makes a similar car in N scale.

Bob Witt

Scott Pitzer

IIRC the C&O didn't start making rib side twins out of old offsets until 1959. But I could be wrong.
For some of them, it looks like you could cut a section out the Life-Like or Bowser late 60s/early 70s three-bay hopper and it would just about match-- a lot closer than the PS3. But the rest of the car would be way too much work for me!

Scott Pitzer

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

rwitt_2000 <rmwitt@...>

Scott you are correct and I am in error. I just was providing the
information from the diagram. I have no idea how the C&O was
rebuilding their off-set side hoppers in the 1950s.

According to the information in Al Kresse's book "C&O Freight Cars Vol
1: Hopper and Gondola Cars" the off-set side hoppers were
"reconditioned" in the 1950s and first rebuilt into ribbed sides in
the early 1960s. The diagram states that the cars were "rebuilt" and
I assumed that meant replacing the off-set sides with ribbed sides. I
will trust the infromation in Al's book.

Bob Witt, Indianapolis, Indiana

Scott Pitzer wrote:

[...]

Thank every one for the information.
However I need a bit of clarification. I was asking about a B&O
hopper and it turned in C&O.
Were the cars sold to the B&O?
Ron C

--- In STMFC@..., "rwitt_2000" <rmwitt@...>

Scott Pitzer wrote:

[...]

jim_mischke <jmischke@...>

I seem to remember that either C&NW or M&StL traded their RDC's to
C&O for 32 hopper cars. About 1957 or 1959. Are these the hoppers
being discussed in this thread? These never became B&O, a common
fate for C&O hoppers after the Feb. 1963 takeover.