ORER

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Gene Green wrote:
I found it interesting that in at least one instance a series of new
cars was delivered to the M&StL not in numerical order. I would have
expected the cars to be numbered at the factory beginning with the
lowest number on the first car completed and so on. The delivery
notes filed in the AFE show the delivery of a few cars per day and
gives the date and time the cars arrived on M&StL property, the
delivering road and the car numbers.
Having looked at decades of SP car production records, I would say this is more common than not. Long runs within an order will be numbered in chronological sequence, but other groups of cars, produced later, may have earlier number series. It is rare in what I've seen for an entire order to be numbered exactly chronologically from start to finish.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>

Bob Lucas wrote:
For new car acquistions,
the entire series was shown even though not all cars were
physically
on hand.
Yes, the entire NUMBER series was shown, but the number of
cars
in the right-hand column would reflect ACTUAL arrivals. There are
plenty of examples where the first appearance of a number series
just
has a row of dots on the right, presumably because no cars had yet
been
delivered. Then succeeding ORER issues, especially in the days when
it
was monthly, would show the group gradually increasing to full size.

Publishers of books on railroad history
I found it interesting that in at least one instance a series of new
cars was delivered to the M&StL not in numerical order. I would have
expected the cars to be numbered at the factory beginning with the
lowest number on the first car completed and so on. The delivery
notes filed in the AFE show the delivery of a few cars per day and
gives the date and time the cars arrived on M&StL property, the
delivering road and the car numbers. Most new M&StL cars were
delivered at Peoria so there were a variety of roads that could
handle cars into Peoria for delivery to the M&StL.

Gene Green

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bob Lucas wrote:
For new car acquistions,
the entire series was shown even though not all cars were physically
on hand.
Yes, the entire NUMBER series was shown, but the number of cars in the right-hand column would reflect ACTUAL arrivals. There are plenty of examples where the first appearance of a number series just has a row of dots on the right, presumably because no cars had yet been delivered. Then succeeding ORER issues, especially in the days when it was monthly, would show the group gradually increasing to full size.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Bob Lucas

When comparing actual records of installations and retirements for
the AC&Y, a smaller Class I, I have found the ORER's to be accurate,
both freight car dimensions and ORER dates. The devil is in the
details, though, at least for date accountability. The AFE
(Authorization for Expenditure) project completion date, which was
how railroads accounted for their property for ICC valuation
purposes, appears to be the usual basis. For new car acquistions,
the entire series was shown even though not all cars were physically
on hand. AFE retirement completion dates do not mean freight cars
were scrapped. Some cars were simply removed from revenue service.
Scrapped does not mean what it says either. Cars sold for scrap
were sometimes whitelined, held until a "funeral train" could be
assembled. Though equipment had left the AC&Y property and there
may be a final weight ticket in the file, scrap cars could be found
at I.A. Barnett in Barberton or Luntz in Canton years later. What
was most telling was the carnage that took place during the steam
era. Many series averaged 1% loss annually due to accidents,
failures and derailments. Cars were still shown in ORER's until
finally disposition was made, sometimes a year or more later.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

From: "Dave Nelson" <muskoka@...>
Subject: RE: Boxcar Utilization - Definitions
ljack70117@... wrote:
I have a question. Where did the ORER get the information the
printed?

From each railroad.
======================

Although Dave's response is right, I'd like nto expand on it a
bit.

The ORER was (and still is) a tariff. It was published on
behalf of all of the railroads and was referenced in most other
railroad tariffs. It was the official reference for any tariff item
that referenced car type, dimensions, capacity, car number, etc.

The railroads were motivated to keep it up to date for cars
added because for tariff purposes a car did not exist if it wasn't
in the RER. Cars in the RER did not necessarily exist. When a
railroad got new cars, it would publish the whole series even if it
might be some months before all were delivered. Similarly, there
was no particular reason for a railroad to rush to delete cars from
the register after they were taken out of service, except for the
cost of the space that they paid for in the RER. So if a railroad
had an entry for a hundred cars and all but a few were scrapped,
there was no benefit from updating the RER until all were gone and
the line for that series could be deleted.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Malcolm Laughlin wrote:
The ORER was (and still is) a tariff. It was published on behalf of all of the railroads and was referenced in most other railroad tariffs. It was the official reference for any tariff item that referenced car type, dimensions, capacity, car number, etc.
Malcolm is right about this, as he is that cars not in the ORER could be regarded as non-existent. I was told by Steve Peery, who oversaw the submission of the SP entries to the ORER in the 1970s, that there were penalties for inaccurate car information, and that every effort was made in his office to check every single dimension of every single car group in the entries submitted for publication. That's not to say there were no errors, only that they were hardly casual errors.

From: "Dave Nelson" <muskoka@comcast.net>
ljack70117@adelphia.net wrote:
I have a question. Where did the ORER get the information the
printed?

From each railroad.