Upcoming Intermountain models [USRA Composite Gon]

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Tim Gilbert wrote:
"In rebuilding USRA gons, many roads preferred to replace with
original USRA steel ends with more modern steel ends. How the
replacement of the ends can be accomplished on the IM model may prove
much more difficult than substituting steel for wood on the gon's
sides."

How so? The ends are a separate piece as well. For example, Mont
Switzer kibashed a Monon "USRA clone" from this kit as detailed in the
September 2004 Mainline Modeler. The cars had unique elongated spiral
corrugated ends. These are available in resin from Chad Boas for $2 a
pair.
http://www.buzzhos.monon.org/boas.html
(Scroll down 2/3 of the way down the page.)

Ben Hom

Andy Carlson

All of this talk about reworking the IM USRA Gon....
If there ever was a case to be made for continuing to
produce kits in our hobby, this would be a good
reason. Doing these modifications to a finished, rtr
Gondola would be pointless.

Anyone wishing to work on a kit, I have several in my
stock that I can offer to those who wish to get one.
At $14.00 list, I will ship one postpaid in the US for
$11.00. I can be contacted at
<midcentury@...>
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

[...]