From: "Ed Hawkins" <hawk0621@sbcglobal.net>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 9:24 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] DL&W 40' 1937 AAR boxcars 51400-51749

On Saturday, March 11, 2006, at 03:38 PM, Brian J Carlson wrote:

I am building a model of one of the above cars. The only photo I have
is a
small one from an Ed Hawkins article in the July 1991 RMJ. I was
wondering
what trucks were installed under this series?
Brian,
July 1991. Gee, my hair actually had color other than gray back then!
The truck side frames were Symington-Gould and the trucks were spring
plankless. My preference for these is the Tichy so-called "Bettendorf"
truck. I think this truck captures the right appearance as well as any.
Richard or others might want to give their insight.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Yahoo! Groups Links

al_brown03

There's a photo of DL&w 51496, in which the trucks show up a little
better, in Model Railroading Sept/Oct 1984, p 12. (The article is
entitled "Athearn 40-foot Box Car Prototypes", which 22 years later
gave me a chuckle.) The trucks are "Bettendorfs" of fairly generic
appearance, i.e. not Dalmans or National B-1s. I'm not a good enough
truck scholar to tell more specifically than that. I have RP CYC 4 &
have been looking at Richard Hendrickson's article, but there are
enough combinations of equipment in trucks of this type that I haven't
figured out what the spotting features are.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Brian J Carlson" <brian@...> wrote:

I am building a model of one of the above cars. The only photo I
have is a
small one from an Ed Hawkins article in the July 1991 RMJ. I was
wondering
what trucks were installed under this series?

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Schuyler Larrabee

I am building a model of one of the above cars. The only
photo I have is a small one from an Ed Hawkins article in the
July 1991 RMJ. I was wondering what trucks were installed
under this series?
Hi Brian,

The EL diagram book I have shows this series as having "Symington Gould TF-5227 & 5281R" sideframes.
Bolster's a Symington Gould Pattern BO-5343. CRECO brake beams, and 5.5" x 10" journals. Cars BLT
Dec 1944 - Jan 1945. Capy 3712. Load Lmt 123200. Lt Wt 45800. Westinghouse Brake Gear. Equipco
or Ajax brake gear. Roof: SREMCO. DWG-7R-2504-C.

Hope this helps. Bring it to Cleveland in the fall.

SGL

Ed Hawkins

On Saturday, March 11, 2006, at 03:38 PM, Brian J Carlson wrote:

I am building a model of one of the above cars.  The only photo I have
is a
small one from an Ed Hawkins article in the July 1991 RMJ. I was
wondering
what trucks were installed under this series?
Brian,
July 1991. Gee, my hair actually had color other than gray back then!
The truck side frames were Symington-Gould and the trucks were spring
plankless. My preference for these is the Tichy so-called "Bettendorf"
truck. I think this truck captures the right appearance as well as any.
Richard or others might want to give their insight.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Patrick Wider <pwider@...>

I've just loaded a photo of a car from this series.

Pat Wider

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Brian J Carlson" <brian@...> wrote:

I am building a model of one of the above cars. The only photo I have is a
small one from an Ed Hawkins article in the July 1991 RMJ. I was wondering
what trucks were installed under this series?

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 11, 2006, at 6:24 PM, Ed Hawkins wrote:

The truck side frames were Symington-Gould and the trucks were spring
plankless. My preference for these is the Tichy so-called "Bettendorf"
truck. I think this truck captures the right appearance as well as
any.
Richard or others might want to give their insight.
I agree.

Richard Hendrickson

Patrick Wider <pwider@...>

I disagree. I think Life-Like's "50-ton Spring Plankless Trucks" are a better match for the
trucks on DL&W 51500.

Pat Wider

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:

On Mar 11, 2006, at 6:24 PM, Ed Hawkins wrote:

The truck side frames were Symington-Gould and the trucks were spring
plankless. My preference for these is the Tichy so-called "Bettendorf"
truck. I think this truck captures the right appearance as well as
any.
Richard or others might want to give their insight.
I agree.

Richard Hendrickson

I'd say there is no match at all... I just looked at them all and either
the sideframes, journal box lids, springs or bolsters are at variance w/
the prototype. We need some more good trucks in HO!! About 50 more styles
I'd say.

Tim O'Connor

At 12:01 AM 3/12/2006, you wrote:
I disagree. I think Life-Like's "50-ton Spring Plankless Trucks" are a better
match for the trucks on DL&W 51500.

Pat Wider

Patrick Wider <pwider@...>

I said better match. I didn't say perfect match. Good luck getting 50 more styles. How
about listing them so we all know what you are talking about?

Pat Wider

At 12:01 AM 3/12/2006, you wrote:
I disagree. I think Life-Like's "50-ton Spring Plankless Trucks" are a better
match for the trucks on DL&W 51500.

Pat Wider

Tim O'Connor

Hey, Pat, 20 years ago there was the Athearn box car... and not a whole lot
else. Now there's about 600 different, accurate box car models out there...
And there are already about 50 freight car trucks made, but only a dozen are
really good. So why not? I'll start the list and you can add to it -- I'd
like a model that's exactly like the one on that DL&W box car... And also a
nice version of the coil-leaf-coil truck found on some DT&I box cars... And
a good 50 ton "Chrysler" truck... And more spring plank trucks in general.
With spring planks. Thanks.

If you don't ask for it, then you won't get it.

Tim O.

At 05:26 PM 3/12/2006, you wrote:
I said better match. I didn't say perfect match. Good luck getting 50 more styles. How
about listing them so we all know what you are talking about?

Pat Wider

Patrick Wider <pwider@...>

You named about four. You have 46 to go. At present most of my attention is going into
building a layout. First I need to finish finishing the basement. Worrying about another 50
freight car trucks or so ain't high on my list. I would like to see that Chrysler truck
however.

Do you have a layout or plans to build one?

Pat Wider

At 05:26 PM 3/12/2006, you wrote:
I said better match. I didn't say perfect match. Good luck getting 50 more styles. How
about listing them so we all know what you are talking about?

Pat Wider

S. Busch <SCSBusch@...>

That's a nice looking car! I'd like to make a copy, too.

Does anyone besides Champion have decals for it ??

Thanks --

Steve Busch
Duncan, SC

Tim O'Connor

CDS #367 (HO scale)

At 01:17 PM 3/15/2006, you wrote:
That's a nice looking car! I'd like to make a copy, too.
Does anyone besides Champion have decals for it ??
Thanks --
Steve Busch
Duncan, SC

S. Busch <SCSBusch@...>