ATSF Wood Caboose Questions

Scott Pitzer

For the benefit of a poster on another list:
"Today I was in my local hobby shop and was looking at the Walthers Platinum Line HO ATSF wood cabooses. They look pretty good. I noticed that the roof is the same brown as the rest of the caboose.

Can anyone let me know when they started painting/coating them black?

What would the correct lens color combinations be for the marker lights as per ATSF practice?

What is the time frame for ATSF vs. AT&SF reporting marks on the cabooses?"

Scott Pitzer

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 13, 2006, at 6:11 AM, Scott Pitzer wrote:

For the benefit of a poster on another list:
"Today I was in my local hobby shop and was looking at the Walthers Platinum Line HO ATSF wood cabooses. They look pretty good. I noticed that the roof is the same brown as the rest of the caboose.

Can anyone let me know when they started painting/coating them black?
To cite the Painting and Lettering Guide which I compiled for the Santa Fe Railway Historical & Modeling Society in 1990, an anti-slip matt black finish was applied to way car roofs (including cupola roofs) ca. 1930 - ca. 1945 , but not on all cars. Photographic evidence is clear that many way cars had black roofs, but that some did not. And, of course, since most of the photographic evidence was B/W, it's often hard to tell whether the roofs were the same color as the car body or not.

What would the correct lens color combinations be for the marker lights as per ATSF practice?
Red to the rear, amber to the sides and front.

What is the time frame for ATSF vs. AT&SF reporting marks on the cabooses?"
A.T.& S.F. before 1838; A.T.S.F. 1838-'44; A T S F after 1944.

Richard Hendrickson

Patrick Wider <pwider@...>

Shouldn't the dates shown below be 1938 rather than 1838?

Pat Wider

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim O'Connor

Phew! Good thing you caught that one Pat! I'd have wasted
months looking for 167 year old decals without your help.

From: "Patrick Wider" <pwider@sbcglobal.net>
Shouldn't the dates shown below be 1938 rather than 1838?

Pat Wider

Doug Brown <g.brown1@...>

I was wondering what they used between 1838 and 1938. <G>

From: "Patrick Wider" <pwider@sbcglobal.net>
Shouldn't the dates shown below be 1938 rather than 1838?

Pat Wider

Yahoo! Groups Links

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 13, 2006, at 10:25 AM, Patrick Wider wrote:

Shouldn't the dates shown below be 1938 rather than 1838?

What is the time frame for ATSF vs. AT&SF reporting marks on the
cabooses?"
A.T.& S.F. before 1838; A.T.S.F. 1838-'44; A T S F after 1944.

Richard Hendrickson
Of course. If it were 1838, we'd be talking about the D&H, maybe, or the B&O.

Richard Hendrickson

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Richard Hendrickson, noted frt car and Santa Fe guru, writes:

Of course. If it were 1838, we'd be talking about the D&H, maybe, or
the B&O.
Actually, if it were 1838 we wouldn't be talking at all...the time period of the STMFC being from 1900-1960...inclusive.<G>.

Mike Brock
STMFC Owner

Scott Pitzer

In that case I can't make a joke about AT&SF circa 1838: "Arrows, Tomahawks, and the Southwestern Frontier."

What's embarrassing is that I have Richard's book, but I forgot that it included cabooses.

Scott Pitzer