There were experiments with various designs earlier than that.)

From: "tvmlines" <tvmlines@yahoo.com>
Greetings everyone, In regards to shipping automobiles in boxcars, at
what point in time did multi-level autoracks begin to be used to
transport automobiles and small trucks. Which railroad was the first
to use them. I model December ,1956 New York Central System.

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

tvmlines (not signing his name) wrote:
Greetings everyone, In regards to shipping automobiles in boxcars, at
what point in time did multi-level autoracks begin to be used to
transport automobiles and small trucks. Which railroad was the first
to use them. I model December ,1956 New York Central System.
You're too early. The first serious autorack shipping was in 1958 and 1959. One pioneer was UP.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
For your time period, no auto racks. I don't know whether the NYC
transported autos piggyback style, on auto carriers, but other roads
did in the 1950's including some in Chicago. (Auto racks didn't really
get going until the introduction of 89ft flat cars, around 1960-1961.
There were experiments with various designs earlier than that.)
This of course is trembling on the boundary of the STMFC list, but I think Tim is wrong about 89-foot cars; a number of roads operated 85-foot cars with racks for years. I don't have the data in front of me, but IIRC the 85-foot G-85 car was introduced by General American in 1959. That size was effectively mandated by the Congressional authorization in 1958 of an increase in highway trailer length from 35 to 40 feet. A number of railroads, including SP, were purchasing 85-foot flat cars in 1960, and though most were first purchased for TOFC service, they soon went to auto racks when the 89-footers took over.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

For your time period, no auto racks. I don't know whether the NYC
transported autos piggyback style, on auto carriers, but other roads
did in the 1950's including some in Chicago. (Auto racks didn't really
get going until the introduction of 89ft flat cars, around 1960-1961.
There were experiments with various designs earlier than that.)
This of course is trembling on the boundary of the STMFC list, but
I think Tim is wrong about 89-foot cars; a number of roads operated
85-foot cars with racks for years.

Sigh.

I guess I was not clear enough Tony... I meant that NUMERICALLY the
number of autoracks did not really explode until the advent of the larger
cars. -Some- 85 foot cars were converted to autorack service, but quite
a few others were actually lengthened 89ft. As for 40 foot trailers, an
85 foot car is perfectly adequate. It was not until the advent of 45 foot
trailers that the 85 ft car became less useful for TOFC service.

http://espee.railfan.net/sp_fcss/sp_fcss-25.html

As you can see from this SP specification sheet, not a single 85 foot
autorack remained on the roster by 1965. SP began removing autoracks
from its few 85 foot cars in 1963. Only a tiny number of cars built in
1959 received autoracks at all.

Tim O'Connor

Richard Townsend

I'm a little late getting into this discussion, but didn't the NYC use some of those early-fifties double deck autoracks from Evans (Auto-Loader?) that fit on 53-foot flatcars? I seem to recall seeing a photo in MR not too long ago. IIRC, Athearn offered a version of this a long time ago.

--
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

"tvmlines" <tvmlines@yahoo.com> wrote:

Greetings everyone, In regards to shipping automobiles in boxcars, at
what point in time did multi-level autoracks begin to be used to
transport automobiles and small trucks. Which railroad was the first
to use them. I model December ,1956 New York Central System.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.