Alternate Stock Car Loads - was Another question from the newbie...

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Mike Aufderheide wrote:

Tim,

Something else to keep in mind with stockcars is that they were often
used for things other than stock "off season" I've seen everything
from railroad ties to watermelons listed. I use this as justification
for running more of them on my layout than the stock traffic warrants.
You know...'cus they're cool!
Mike,

You can add lumber & pulpwood to your list of out of season commodities loaded into stock cars. Indeed for many years, the MEC listed in the ORER's a series of combination pulpwood rack/stock cars. And then you have the shipment of live stock in boxcars particularly during the winter.

Tim Gilbert

cvsne <mjmcguirk@...>

Mike,

Bagged coal was also carried in stockcars on backhaul or during seasonal lulls. I believe some
railroad stockcars (Santa Fe? for one) were equipped with floor gates (like those in some
gons) for carrying commodities like coal and coke.

Marty McGuirk

mcindoefalls

--- In STMFC@..., Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...> wrote:

You can add lumber & pulpwood to your list of out of season commodities
loaded into stock cars.
IIRC, the Central Valley Northern Pacific stock car model has a lumber door in the "A" end.

Walt Lankenau

ljack70117@...

You will probably find that is a drover door for a man to get into the car if he needed to.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@...

On Mar 22, 2006, at 9:39 PM, mcindoefalls wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...> wrote:

You can add lumber & pulpwood to your list of out of season commodities
loaded into stock cars.
IIRC, the Central Valley Northern Pacific stock car model has a lumber door in the "A" end.

Walt Lankenau

Yahoo! Groups Links