NP flat kit

David Smith <dsmith@...>

This seems very simple to resolve.

By law, if a manufacturer cannot fill an order within a set period,
which I believe is 60 days, you are entitled to cancel your order and
receive a refund. If you're tired of waiting, write and ask for your
money back. The alternative is to accept the extension of the backorder
condition. Even things made in huge factories go on backorder (anybody
try to buy a Prius when they first came out?). If you want the car,
accept that it is on backorder and wait. It's really simple - if you
want to wait, wait, if you don't, ask for a refund. How badly do you
want these cars?

Dave Smith

Bill Darnaby

Anyone else having any delivery problems with
Northern Specific Models NP
Flat cars?
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
I ordered (mailed a check) one with a laser deck 3 weeks ago today and received it this past Saturday. The deck looks real nice.

Bill Darnaby

pullmanboss <tgmadden@...>

Jim Hayes wrote:

Aaron has bought his castings in batches of 50 and has greatly
underestimated demand, but then maybe that's all he can afford to
buy at a time.
No, it's purely my ability to get the casting done. I don't bill until
the order is complete, and Aaron ordered 100 flats. Aaron will get the
bill when the last 30 are delivered.

Tom Madden

Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>

Aaron's NP flat car kit has been selling like hotcakes. I bought one when
they were first released and got quick delivery. Shortly thereafter I wanted
more but his web site said sold out. Eventually they were back in stock and
I bought 2 more and again got fast service. Then quickly decided I wanted
one more but Aaron is sold out again. Now I'm watching his web site
www.northernspecificmodels.com for an 'I've got more' notice.

Aaron has bought his castings in batches of 50 and has greatly
underestimated demand, but then maybe that's all he can afford to buy at a
time. Tom Madden is doing his casting and Tom is backed up on projects too.
And, everyone who ordered a stock car eventually did get one even if it took
a couple of years, so I trust Aaron.

Jim Hayes
Portland Oregon

Thomas M. Olsen <tmolsen@...>

Hi Andy,
I have ordered three of the flat cars from Aaron also. Aaron ran out of the kits with the resin decks as the response for them was greater than the laser-cut ones. Tom Madden is doing the castings and as soon as he can finish them and Aaron receives them, those who have ordered them will receive theirs.

Aaron learned a painful lesson in selling models: that is never cash your buyers checks before you have the product in hand and have someone other than yourself do the castings when you neither have the time or the proper equipment to do so. His forte is making excellent masters!

Regards,
Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@udel.edu

Andy Carlson wrote:

Anyone else having any delivery problems with
Northern Specific Models NP
Flat cars? I have sent payment for 4 and I have not
received them, plus the owner fails to return my
emails. Has he gone back to his ethical standards
exhibited with his stockcar marketing? Thanks,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Yahoo! Groups Links

Paul Lyons

Andy, All this is very interesting. I, also, just emailed Aaron to inquire about the avalibilty of the flat car kit. I to recieved an email right back and was told he had FIVE in stock. I told him I would take one, sent my money and have heard nothing since.

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

From: "leakinmywaders" <leakinmywaders@yahoo.com>
Tim: As you might have noticed, NP diagrams seldom offer useful
information on brake appliances--e.g.,

http://research.nprha.org/NP%20Flat%20Cars/52%20Ft.%20Flat%20Cars%2064000-195.jpg

So we pretty much are stuck with photo sources (although there could
be relevant data stashed in the NPRHA archives in MN, should anyone
have time to dig for it).

leakinmywaders

Tim: As you might have noticed, NP diagrams seldom offer useful
information on brake appliances--e.g.,

http://research.nprha.org/NP%20Flat%20Cars/52%20Ft.%20Flat%20Cars%2064000-195.jpg

So we pretty much are stuck with photo sources (although there could
be relevant data stashed in the NPRHA archives in MN, should anyone
have time to dig for it).

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

-- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, timboconnor@... wrote:
Appliances like brake wheels might
change from order to order, or even car to car, so it's best to get the
information from an equipment diagram...

Tim O.

pullmanboss <tgmadden@...>

Jeff Pape asked:

Can some one provide contact information to enable getting in touch
with Northern Specific?
From Aaron's web site (www.northernspecificmodels.com):

Npin53 (at) northernspecificmodels (dot) com

Tom Madden

Tim O'Connor

The W&R brass cars have an elaborate brake wheel, with a fairly
flat profile. I will look at some references tonight and try to figure out
what it is supposed to represent. Appliances like brake wheels might

From: "leakinmywaders" <leakinmywaders@yahoo.com>
Anybody have a a brake wheel recommendation for Northern Specific's
resin NP flat car? The kit instructions are silent on this subject.
Looks like Aaron maybe used the straight-spoked wheel from the Tichy

leakinmywaders

Anybody have a a brake wheel recommendation for Northern Specific's
resin NP flat car? The kit instructions are silent on this subject.
Looks like Aaron maybe used the straight-spoked wheel from the Tichy
kit, but it is flat in cross section, and the prototype wheels, as
best as I can tell, appear to have had spokes descending 2 or 3 inches
concentrically toward the hub.

Also, has anyone checked the deck height on a completed model against
prototype dimensions? I'm wondering if they ride a little high on the
bolsters--if so that could possibly be cured with some simple
modifications. The ORER-listed height to top of sides or platform for
the relevant NP car series is 3ft 11in from rail.

Thanks for getting the decals online, Ted. Best,

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

SD9E@...

Can some one provide contact information to enable getting in touch with
Northern Specific? Thanks, Jeff Pape

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

On Mar 23, 2006, at 9:45 AM, joe binish wrote:

Bruce,
You could add the deck later in the instructions, since nothing is done to
it after you attach it to the "underframe". Looking closely at the photos
in Aaron's and Ted's instrucions, it looks to me like the ends of the deck
boards were painted while the side of the car was painted. A little masking
tape should cover the deck while I spray it. (do I loose FCN points if I
didn't add all of the brake piping? There is no documentation for the train
line!) Off to the spray booth.
Even though my model is weathered and "finished" the deck is still loose and unattached.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
645 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, CT 06437
info@speedwitch.com
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

joe binish <joebinish@...>

Bruce,
You could add the deck later in the instructions, since nothing is done to
it after you attach it to the "underframe". Looking closely at the photos
in Aaron's and Ted's instrucions, it looks to me like the ends of the deck
boards were painted while the side of the car was painted. A little masking
tape should cover the deck while I spray it. (do I loose FCN points if I
didn't add all of the brake piping? There is no documentation for the train
line!) Off to the spray booth.
Joe Binish

Bruce Smith

On Wed, March 22, 2006 11:40 pm, Tim O'Connor wrote:

The 1938 photos do show overlapping decks (I assume you mean wood
that overlaps the side sills?) but the overlap is small, maybe an
inch or a little more.
Yes, I saw that. It looks like the early cars had this very small
overlap, which is what I was calling "no overlap".

Interstingly, the directions have you glue the deck on very early in the
build process, making it hard not to paint the deck while painting the
model. I will likely add the deck later, pre-stained, once the model is
painted.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce Smith