IM ART car

Clark Propst <cepropst@...>

There are a couple of the new Intermountain ART models painted PCX (Armour) on ebay. The PCX cars are too new for me, but I can use a few TRAX cars. I had a conversation with Ed Hawkins at last years StL meet about making TRAX cars from the IM ART car and he said there were too many differences to make a reasonable model. With due respect to Ed, no affence, I think a reasonable model could be done, I need more than two, so compromise is expectable. I looked at the ART photos in Gene's reefer book and compared them to my photos of TRAX cars. By adding Stan Rydarowicz reefer doors, IF IM did the right ends, they appear to be the same (close), the roof would have to be replaced with the new Armadillo (SP) diagonal panel reefer roof.

What do you guys think?
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Clark Propst wrote:
There are a couple of the new Intermountain ART models painted PCX (Armour) on ebay. The PCX cars are too new for me, but I can use a few TRAX cars. I had a conversation with Ed Hawkins at last years StL meet about making TRAX cars from the IM ART car and he said there were too many differences to make a reasonable model.
After looking at photos in Gene's book, I think I agree with Ed.

With due respect to Ed, no affence . . .
"Affence?" Man, this is a great list. I learn something every day.

Publishers of books on railroad history

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

"Affence?" Man, this is a great list. I learn something every
day.

Publishers of books on railroad history
Thank you for reading my post.
Clark Propst

mcindoefalls

--- In STMFC@..., "Clark Propst" <cepropst@...> wrote:

There are a couple of the new Intermountain ART models painted PCX
(Armour) on ebay. The PCX cars are too new for me

I have seen pix of similar Armour steel cars with ARLX, I think,
reporting marks, numbered in the 1-999 (?) series. (It's been a while
and I don't have immediate access to the books/photos.) Did the ARLX
and PCX cars co-exist, or did one mark follow the other
cronologically? Did Armour sell the cars and lease them back, or what?

Walt Lankenau

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

Walt,
There are a couple books that may help answer your questions. Gene
Green did a reefer 'color book' for Morning Sun. There are several
pages devoted to Armour reefers. While I have the book I have not
taken the time to read it. I wrote an article in Ted Culotta's
first "Prototype Railroad Modeling" book on making the Intermountain
ARLX model more correct (what I want to do with the new ART model).
Problem is I need more IM ARLX reefers and every time they come up on
ebay my (so called) freinds bid up the price so they can get a model
make the car in the article. I've been told I should have bought all I
needed before the article was printed! I need to have Allen at 'Black
Cat decals' make me complete sets. I did have Oddball make a set to do
either a PCX or TRAX car, but he printed them on an Alps printed so
the maroon Armour came out either reddish or brownish.
To asnwer your question from what I know. I believe the ARLX cars
were leased? from GATX these cars were rebuilt in 59, 60 at the M&StL
Marshalltown car shops and renumbered into the 8000s. Armour also
leased reefers lettered TRAX in 54 and PCX in 57. So, cars with all
three reporting marks could be coupled together. Note that the ARLX
cars were repainted starting in 53 with the large maroon Armour to the
right of the door.
Clark Propst

--- In STMFC@..., "rockroll50401" <cepropst@...> wrote:

Note that the ARLX
cars were repainted starting in 53 with the large maroon Armour to the
right of the door.
Clark Propst
Ah, now THAT's interesting. . . I plan to model the CPR Vermont lines
in the 1949-54 era. There was an Armour plant on the B&M in
Woodsville, NH, and CPR southbounds often had an Armour reefer on the
head end for setout at Wells River, Vt., where the B&M would pick it
up for placement at the plant. I'm glad to know when the large ARMOUR
lettering came into use. Thanks!

Walt Lankenau

joe binish <joebinish@...>

Hey Clark,
Am I one of the "so called"? The cars I bought were already above your
threshold before I started bidding! There is a fellow in Beloit from whom I
purchased a set of Cudahy decals, he has expressed a little interest in
making the Armour decals. (ARLX, TRAX and PCX)
Joe Binish

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

There is a fellow in Beloit from whom I
purchased a set of Cudahy decals, he has expressed a little interest
in making the Armour decals. (ARLX, TRAX and PCX)
Joe Binish
Great! I'll email you off list.
Clark Propst