From: stefanelaine <stefanelaine@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:19:00 -0000
Subject: [STMFC] Prototype for Front Range 50' Steel boxcar IDE, 8'Ygstn door,diagonal pnl roof

Anotyher one I'm not sure about! I found this FR car in storgae painted
and lettered for ATSF 12369 BX70 with large DF logo and "Ship and
travel" slogan with 7-56 reweigh and built dates. Any accurate
prototypes for this one? (I model SP 1954-56)
Any help from listmembers appreciated as always!
Stefan Lerche'

Yahoo! Groups Links

John

Don't know about western roads, but this sounds like it would work for a PRR X44 boxcar. Riveted 8 panels oneither side of 8ft post-WWII Youngstown door, R+/3/4 dreadnaught ends, diagonal panel roof. Blt late 1050.

-- John

--- In STMFC@..., "stefanelaine" <stefanelaine@...> wrote:

Anotyher one I'm not sure about! I found this FR car in storgae painted
and lettered for ATSF 12369 BX70 with large DF logo and "Ship and
travel" slogan with 7-56 reweigh and built dates. Any accurate
prototypes for this one? (I model SP 1954-56)
Any help from listmembers appreciated as always!
Stefan Lerche'

Ed Hawkins

On Apr 10, 2013, at 10:05 AM, John Sykes wrote:

Don't know about western roads, but this sounds like it would work for a PRR X44 boxcar. Riveted 8 panels oneither side of 8ft post-WWII Youngstown door, R+/3/4 dreadnaught ends, diagonal panel roof. Blt late 1050.
John,
The ends of all Front Range box cars represented Improved Dreadnaught Ends applied to box & auto cars 1955 into the 1960s. They had a broad taper on the main corrugations. Also, the Front Range 50' riveted single-door box cars had just 6 panels on either side of the door. Front Range offered a 16-panel welded-side car (their catalogue no. 5000).

The Branchline (now Atlas) 16-panel side riveted 50' box cars with 8' door openings are a much better choice for the PRR X44.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins