SFRD Rr-30 Class Reefers From Athearn

Bob Chaparro <thecitrusbelt@...>

Andy Sperandeo alerted me to this and Craig Walker at Athearn sent
me a pdf. The following information is from that document.

These are the reefers Santa Fe used mainly for frozen food service.

Bob Chaparro
Moderator
Citrus Industry Modeling Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/citrusmodeling/ and

Model Railroads of Southern California
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Model_Railroads_Of_Southern_California/

====================================

Era: 1940 to 1960s
• NEW body tooling
• National B-1 Trucks (NEW tooling) • Fully assembled
• Machined metal wheels • Weighted for optimal performance
• Razor-sharp printing and painting
• Magnetically operated knuckle
couplers
• Includes molded and wire-form grabirons, stirrup steps, recessed
ladders and full underbody details
• Positionable Santa Fe style "reversed" ice hatches with etched and
formed hatch stops

Announced: 4-18-06
Orders Due: 5-16-06
ETA: September 2006

leakinmywaders

Can someone offer the number series for the SFRD Rr-30 reefers? The
ORER doesn't appear to distinguish SFRD cars by that car class code.

Also, is there a web site somewhere with good ATSF/SFRD+ freight car
rosters? I never seem to be able to google this info up when I need
it. Thx!

Chris Frissell, Polson, MT

====================================

pullmanboss <tgmadden@...>

Chris Frissell wrote:

Can someone offer the number series for the SFRD Rr-30 reefers?
The ORER doesn't appear to distinguish SFRD cars by that car class
code.
They were 50 foot cars, 100 of them built in 1940, numbered 37290
through 37389.

Tom Madden

s shaffer

From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Mike Brock

If one applies the Dave Nelson/Tim
Gilbert "probability of occurrence" to these cars, one MIGHT be allowed
one
tenth of a car to be on the layout during a month of operating
sessions.
OTOH, if one were to...for some reason...model say two days [ as in May
14
and May 15, 1954 ] AND had proof that 4 of the Rr-30 reefers were in
one
train on one of those days in the area modeled...Bingo!...one could run
4 of
them. No idea what to do about modeling and running the other 2400 or
so
cars active on those days in the area of the RR modeled. Not my
problem.

"The World Wonders"....Nimitz to Halsey, Oct 1944

Mike Brock

An interesting aside regarding this discussion. I finally got the Athearn
news announcement this morning (Thursday) at 1:15 and can now see what
everyone's been talking about. (I never saw a link in any of the posts when
this started.) It appears that Athearn doesn't send out all their e-mail
announcements at the same time. I knew it was a long way here when shipping
things, but I didn't know it took longer for the internet too!<G>

Dan Stinson
Helena, Montana