From: Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 05:09:01 -0400
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: SFRD Rr-30 Class Reefers From Athearn - Wheel Report
sighting

Mike Brock wrote:

Keith Jordan writes:

I'm excited that Athearn did this, because it could be a harbinger
of future projects based on "minor" prototypes.
Hmmm. Tongue firmly in cheek...smiling....If one applies the Dave
Nelson/Tim
Gilbert "probability of occurrence" to these cars, one MIGHT be
allowed one
tenth of a car to be on the layout during a month of operating sessions.
OTOH, if one were to...for some reason...model say two days [ as in
May 14
and May 15, 1954 ] AND had proof that 4 of the Rr-30 reefers were in one
train on one of those days in the area modeled...Bingo!...one could
run 4 of
them. No idea what to do about modeling and running the other 2400 or so
cars active on those days in the area of the RR modeled. Not my problem.
SFRD Rr-30 Reefer #37328 was loaded with Bananas northbound on the SOU
between Monroe VA and Pot Yard on September 27th, 1946, but, alas,
#37328 was not equipped with a Preco Floor circulating device. #37328
was part of a forty three car Banana block consisting of 14 reefers
owned by the FGEX/BREX/WFEX group; 11 by PFE; 7 by MDT; 4 by SFRD; 3 by
ART; 2 by URTX; one by the NP; and one indecipherable. This is the only
reporting of a RR-30 in all of my parsings of sundry wheel reports.

Tim Gilbert

Yahoo! Groups Links

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Andy and friends,

Nice car. The hatch platforms, reversed hatch covers mark this car as no later than the early 1950s. They don't show us the reverse side. Do you suppose it will be "Ship and Travel" or one of the maps?

I wonder if we could interest Athearn in doing a D&RGW/WP General American 46' GS gondola? ;-)

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Andy Sperandeo wrote:

For those who haven't seen it yet, this is from today's online "Athearn
News":

HO 50' Santa Fe Ice Reefer (Now THIS is the BIG NEWS of this group of
announcements. We're glad that you got this far. This is ALL NEW
TOOLING, and is a model of a car that has never, EVER been available
in plastic before! The detailing is absolutely exquisite!)
http://www.athearn.com/Newsletter/041806/50_ice_reefer_041806.jpg
http://www.athearn.com/Newsletter/041806/50_ice_reefer_041806.pdf

So long,

Andy

Andy Sperandeo
Executive Editor
Model Railroader magazine
asperandeo@...
262-796-8776, ext. 461
FAX 262-796-11142

Andy Sperandeo <asperandeo@...>

Hi Garth,

Athearn hasn't said anything about maps vs. "Ship and Travel" slogans, but
the train slogans the announcement shows are all earlier types that are
consistent with maps on the opposite side. Only the "Super Chief" lettering
is correct for the cars as originally delivered, since all 100 came with
that slogan (per Richard H's Santa Fe painting and lettering guide).

So long,

Andy

Andy Sperandeo
Executive Editor
Model Railroader magazine
asperandeo@...
262-796-8776, ext. 461
FAX 262-796-11142

Eric Hansmann <ehansmann@...>

BTW, you can zoom in on the model image a lot easier with the pdf link
version that Andy supplied. It looks pretty sweet.

http://www.athearn.com/Newsletter/041806/50_ice_reefer_041806.pdf

Eric Hansmann
Morgantown, W. Va.

Bruce Smith

On Apr 20, 2006, at 9:58 AM, Andy Sperandeo wrote:
Athearn hasn't said anything about maps vs. "Ship and Travel" slogans, but
the train slogans the announcement shows are all earlier types that are
consistent with maps on the opposite side. Only the "Super Chief" lettering
is correct for the cars as originally delivered, since all 100 came with
that slogan (per Richard H's Santa Fe painting and lettering guide).
I'll add that zooming in on the Athearn artwork shows "New 6-40" for the reweigh on all of the schemes offered <G>. Of course, that may or may not reflect the actual product that they will deliver...

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Andy Carlson

My understanding is that this project was tooled by a new to model trains toolmaker who has previously worked for Tamaya, an extremely well-respected plastic maker of aircraft and vehicles. Glad to see this quality of work come our way. The Golden age is over, we are entering the Diamond age.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Eric Hansmann <ehansmann@...> wrote: BTW, you can zoom in on the model image a lot easier with the pdf link
version that Andy supplied. It looks pretty sweet.

mjmcguirk@...

From: "Mike Brock" <brockm@...> wrote:

Still...one might be permitted to wonder about the manufacture of a car with
total production of 100 prototype cars when the AAR Alt Standard 50 ton
hopper...about 50,000 prototype cars ...has never been built

Mike,

The reason, which seems anathema to some -- is simple and can be expressed in two words: "Santa" and "Fe."

Doesn't matter if Chico had one, fifty, or 75,000 of them, people will still buy 'em.

Not my rule, just stating the facts . . .

Marty McGuirk

Miller, Andrew S. <asmiller@...>

We have a winner!

regards,

Andy Miller

From: "Mike Brock" <brockm@...> wrote:

Still...one might be permitted to wonder about the manufacture
of a car with
total production of 100 prototype cars when the AAR Alt Standard
50 ton
hopper...about 50,000 prototype cars ...has never been built

Mike,

The reason, which seems anathema to some -- is simple and can be
expressed in two words: "Santa" and "Fe."

Doesn't matter if Chico had one, fifty, or 75,000 of them, people
will still buy 'em.

Not my rule, just stating the facts . . .

Marty McGuirk

Keith Jordan

Mr. Madden opined:

"Where is the third fleet?", which was obviously a reference to the
third group of Santa Fe 50' frozen food reefers scheduled to traverse
Sherman Hill that November.
Actually, all 100 reefers were shipped from LA to Hawaii, surreptitiously
aboard a Matson freighter to serve aboard the Enterprise as Halsey's frozen
food lockers. Hangar space was needed for the attack on the Japanese fleet
at Midway, so the cars were taken off at Pearl, where Nimitz ordered them
back to the US mainland. The Santa Fe was grateful to have served Admiral
Halsey in a time of need. In fact, the railroad was awarded the Navy "E,"
which was promptly painted on a boxcar. The photo ceremony was scheduled for
late in the evening of September 18, 1942 but the company photographer was
not allowed to use a flash due to the blackout ordered on the West Coast.
The car was destroyed the next day in a derailment near Klondike,
California, so no photographs were ever taken.

Mr. Goff asked:

Nice car. The hatch platforms, reversed hatch covers mark this car as no
later than the early 1950s. They don't show us the reverse side. Do you
suppose it will be "Ship and Travel" or one of the maps?
The hatch covers remained "reversed" for the life of the cars from the
photos I've seen. Turning the hatch covers around to lie flat was done to
those USRA style rebuilt cars further modernized in the 1950s.

The only accurate scheme for these cars, as delivered in 1940 and until
later repainted, is the Super Chief slogan with the map opposite. All 100
cars had this scheme. When they were repainted, it was likely with the Ship
and Travel scheme, since that became the standard in 1947. On p. 215 of
"Santa Fe Railway...Refrigerator Cars..." there's a nice photo of 37374 (one
of the fan cars) with the Chief/Ship and Travel slogan, painted in 1950. The
S&T slogans were the same size as the 40 foot versions, so looked more puny
on the bigger cars.

Keith Jordan

charles slater

Saves ME a lot of work in the future.
Charlie Slater

From: "Miller, Andrew S." <asmiller@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: SFRD Rr-30 Class Reefers From Athearn
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:39:14 -0400

We have a winner!

regards,

Andy Miller

On 20-Apr-06, at 9:42 AM, Miller, Andrew S. wrote:

What was the pad on the front of that famous message?
As I recall, the message read: "Turkey trots to water. Where is Task
Force 34? The whole world wonders".

Schuyler Larrabee

Eric Hansmann <ehansmann@...> wrote: BTW, you can
zoom in on the model image a lot easier with the pdf link
version that Andy supplied. It looks pretty sweet.
I'm impressed. Looks as good as one of Ted C's models!

SGL

Gene Green <bierglaeser@...>

Price looks pretty good, too.
Gene Green

From: Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 05:09:01 -0400
To: <STMFC@...>
Wheel Report
sighting

Mike Brock wrote:

Keith Jordan writes:

[...]

Scott Pitzer

Yeah, I was going to say "It looks great in Culotta Gray..."
Scott Pitzer

zoom in on the model image a lot easier with the pdf link
version that Andy supplied. It looks pretty sweet.
I'm impressed. Looks as good as one of Ted C's models!

SGL

Yahoo! Groups Links

lnbill <bwelch@...>

Although Charlie I am hoping you may take a set of InterMountain ends
and do whatever is required to make master to create resin ends that
will fit the Rr-30 to allow us to model the Rr-22.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "charles slater" <atsfcondr42@...>

From: "Miller, Andrew S." <asmiller@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:39:14 -0400

We have a winner!

regards,

Andy Miller

On 20-Apr-06, at 9:42 AM, Miller, Andrew S. wrote:

What was the pad on the front of that famous message?
As I recall, the message read: "Turkey trots to water. Where is
Task
Force 34? The whole world wonders".

Keith Jordan

Although Charlie I am hoping you may take a set of InterMountain ends
and do whatever is required to make master to create resin ends that
will fit the Rr-30 to allow us to model the Rr-22.
Bill,

You'll also need to modify the Duryea underframe. It's quite different on
the Rr-22.

Keith Jordan

lnbill <bwelch@...>

I know Keith, but I figure if the end gets done, the underframe will
too.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <bwelch@...> wrote:

I know Keith, but I figure if the end gets done, the underframe
will
too.

Bill Welch
You are a true man of faith, Bill!

(Now that I think of it, Martin's Duryea u/f mini-kit might work.)

Keith Jordan

charles slater

Already have a couple of undecorated cars ordered, to see if it can be done.

From: "Miller, Andrew S." <asmiller@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:39:14 -0400

We have a winner!