FDDM&S Ry PS-1 boxcar help

leakinmywaders

Can anyone on the list help me out with a question about a detail on a
40 ft PS-1 boxcar that I am lettering for Fort Dodge, Des Moines &
Southern Ry series 12201-12400. Can someone with a high-resolution
photograph of one of these cars, or alternatively a Kadee HO model,
and also a good magnifying glass, or possibly just a good memory, tell
me what is lettered inside the rectangle stencil to the left of the
door? And did this stencil appear on both sides of the car?

If anyone knows offhand for a decal source for this stencil, that'd be
great(but I know unlikely). Even better, someone could comfort me with
a report that these stencils never appeared on car numbers 12xxx-xxx,
or painted out before 1969, but then we might be straying a bit out of
bounds...

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

leakinmywaders

Ed: Super, thank you! Now I've got a little sleuthing to do to find
a decal. Best regards,

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT --- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

Chris,
The information inside the rectangle specifies "THIS CAR IS EQUIPPED
WITH A NAILABLE STEEL FLOOR" on the top line. Below that is a graphic
showing the cross section of a nailable steel floor....

Ed Hawkins

On Thursday, April 20, 2006, at 05:27 PM, leakinmywaders wrote:

Can anyone on the list help me out with a question about a detail on a
40 ft PS-1 boxcar that I am lettering for Fort Dodge, Des Moines &
Southern Ry series 12201-12400.  Can someone with a high-resolution
photograph of one of these cars, or alternatively a Kadee HO model,
and also a good magnifying glass, or possibly just a good memory, tell
me what is lettered inside the rectangle stencil to the left of the
door? And did this stencil appear on both sides of the car?
Chris,
The information inside the rectangle specifies "THIS CAR IS EQUIPPED
WITH A NAILABLE STEEL FLOOR" on the top line. Below that is a graphic
showing the cross section of a nailable steel floor with the words
"NAILABLE" "STEEL" "FLOOR" inside the three segments of the graphic.
Below that is stated on three lines:

USE 16 OR 20 PENNY
NAILS TO SECURE BLOCKING
BY NAILING INTO GROOVES

The rectangle was made of dashed lines (not continuous). It was more or
less a standard stencil except that I've seen others that used "20 OR
30 PENNY NAILS". The stencils were on both sides as far as I can tell.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins