Paint Scheme Changes

Jim Betz

Has any one ever done a book/document/list of the changes to
paint schemes that covers the major railroads? I know my RRs.
But when it comes to an RR that I don't know I don't know what
years what paint schemes happened.

For instance ... what year did Pennsy introduce the Shadow
Keystone? No, I'm not interested in an answer to just that
one question - well, actually I am - but the point is that it
is an example of how paint schemes changed over the years.
Why do I want to know? I'm in the process of selecting freight cars
to take to a run that has a cut off date of 1949. And I know enough to
not rely upon the data that is on the car ... even if the built date is
correct the paint scheme is often from a much later period.

So how's a fella supposed to know?

Greg Martin

Jim writes:

"Has any one ever done a book/document/list of the changes to paint schemes
that covers the major railroads? I know my RRs. But when it comes to an RR
that I don't know I don't know what years what paint schemes happened.

For instance ... what year did Pennsy introduce the Shadow Keystone? No,
I'm not interested in an answer to just that one question - well, actually I am
- but the point is that it is an example of how paint schemes changed over
the years. Why do I want to know? I'm in the process of selecting freight
cars to take to a run that has a cut off date of 1949. And I know enough to
not rely upon the data that is on the car ... even if the built date is
correct the paint scheme is often from a much later period.

So how's a fella supposed to know?"

The quick answer is that the Shadow keystone was adopted in (Feb) 1st
quarter of 1954, and was changed slightly later (July) that year (numeral style
change). There has been outlines of this subjects in The Keystone Modeler
Magazine (online free magazine). But we are glad to help even if you don't read
TKM.

Greg Martin

oliver

--- In STMFC@..., tgregmrtn@... wrote:
Jim writes:
"Has any one ever done a book/document/list of the changes to paint
schemes
that covers the major railroads? I know my RRs. But when it comes
to an RR
that I don't know I don't know what years what paint schemes happened.
For instance ... what year did Pennsy introduce the Shadow Keystone?
Now there is a thought for a quick, basic, entry level article.
Perhaps someone at MR could do it in two pages since they seem to
mainly focus on simple, not very in-depth articles for "beginners"
these days;-)

All kidding aside...although a good idea, I suspect it hasn't been
done because it would quickly become a major treatise, no? I can't
even keep track of what happened on my beloved SP over the years!

BTW, to stay on topic it was 1954 for the Pennsy shadow Keystone.
Check out this great site:
http://prr.railfan.net/freight/PaintingInstructions.html
and check out the "The Keystone Modeller(TKM)" magazine for good info.
cheers
Stefan Lerche
Duncan, BC

Mitchell Mercante

Jim,

The NEB&W Guides for Steam Era Freight Car Modeling by John Nehrich contains a wealth of information on paint schemes and includes reproductions of many photographs of freight cars. Both the well known as well as many obscure roads are included. The last time I looked, there were three guides available and one covering scenery, structures and details. All are well worth the money and may still be available through the Rensselaer modelers' group.

Mitch Mercante

Jim Betz <jimbetz@...> wrote:
Has any one ever done a book/document/list of the changes to
paint schemes that covers the major railroads? I know my RRs.
But when it comes to an RR that I don't know I don't know what
years what paint schemes happened.

For instance ... what year did Pennsy introduce the Shadow
Keystone? No, I'm not interested in an answer to just that
one question - well, actually I am - but the point is that it
is an example of how paint schemes changed over the years.
Why do I want to know? I'm in the process of selecting freight cars
to take to a run that has a cut off date of 1949. And I know enough to
not rely upon the data that is on the car ... even if the built date is
correct the paint scheme is often from a much later period.

So how's a fella supposed to know?

Train travel Freight car Canada train travel Train travel in italy North american