Replacement parts for 65' mill gon, NYC stock car & 3-bay PS-2

lnbill <bwelch@...>

For those of you that anticpate modeling one of the postwar 65 foot
Mill Gondolas, the early 3-bay PS-2, (both Athearn) or Al
Westerfield's New York Central stock car with wood roof, I am working
on the following replacements that will be available thru "Speedwitch
Media."

1). I have finished an Improved Dreadnaught end for the long mill
gon, and will be sending the pattern to Ted for casting. He offers
decals for the postwar cars.

2). Spare roofs are on the way to me from Athearn to cut up to
reassemble and create the earlier hatch spacing used by WABASH,
Monon, IC, etc.

3). Not all together pleased with my first effort, I am about half
way to completion of a roof to replace what comes in the NYC stock
car kit to model the wood roof. I am doing this as a one piece
pattern and using individual strips of styrene to create the "board-
by-board" look for the this type construction. Ted also offers decals
for this car.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

Bill Welch wrote

1). I have finished an Improved Dreadnaught end for the long
mill gon, and will be sending the pattern to Ted for casting.
For years I have wished for a replacement end for the Greenville
(Proto 2000) gondola that matches the SLSF and I think RI cars,
which had non-tapered sine wave ends (like a PS-1 end). I think
such ends also were applied to some 65' gondolas. I don't know
how you could make a master to produce such an end in 3-D.

Tim O'

mopacfirst

I think I can visualize the difference between the Improved Dreadnaught
end described below and the earlier one the model has, but I'm not
sure. But, I'd throw out a request for something we discussed a year
or two ago, and that is a P-S style drop end with three straight
corrugations as used on some of the "Greenville-style" gons built by P-
S. Model reference: the P2K gons released several years ago which
continue to dribble out, now with semi-authentic loads.

On occasion, a model comes out that causes me to bypass my usual
procedure of putting the unbuilt kits directly on the shelf and
building them when I work off my backlog of existing unbuilt kits. The
65' gon is one of those (yes, it came RTR, but I took the trucks off
for painting and replaced the couplers and put cut levers on....) and
then there's one that I disassembled and painted completely black to
become a WAB car. The X29 with patch panels was another one to get
the "expedited" treatment.

So, back to the drop end: I'd love a few of those P-S ends. While I
probably dould figure out how to make one myself, I'd be happier if you
guys who can cast these things would offer one.

Ron Merrick

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <bwelch@...> wrote:

For those of you that anticpate modeling one of the postwar 65 foot
Mill Gondolas, <snip> I am working
on the following replacements that will be available thru "Speedwitch
Media."

1). I have finished an Improved Dreadnaught end for the long mill
gon, and will be sending the pattern to Ted for casting. He offers
decals for the postwar cars.
<snip>
Bill Welch

lnbill <bwelch@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "cf5250" <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Bill Welch wrote

1). I have finished an Improved Dreadnaught end for the long
mill gon, and will be sending the pattern to Ted for casting.
For years I have wished for a replacement end for the Greenville
(Proto 2000) gondola that matches the SLSF and I think RI cars,
which had non-tapered sine wave ends (like a PS-1 end). I think
such ends also were applied to some 65' gondolas. I don't know
how you could make a master to produce such an end in 3-D.

Tim O'

mcindoefalls

--- In STMFC@..., "mopacfirst" <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

I'd throw out a request for something we discussed a year
or two ago, and that is a P-S style drop end with three straight
corrugations as used on some of the "Greenville-style" gons built by P-
S. Model reference: the P2K gons released several years ago which
continue to dribble out, now with semi-authentic loads.
Hear, hear!!! This would make kitbashing a PS-5 (that was the gon, IIRC) from the P2K car,
and we can finally have a correct Rutland gon model. Or with die cutting apparently so
cheap these days, perhaps Life Like could make the part in styrene and offer PS-5's along
with the Greenville cars. Perhaps there are few major visible differences in the bodies and
the Greenville shell could be used.

Walt Lankenau