VGN help needed

Dave Powell <daveydiesel@...>

Hi Guys,
I am searching for some info on Virginian, class BX-10/11, 40 foot
O.B. boxcars that were built by Baltimore Car & Foundry in 1906. These
are 50 ton, steel
frame cars in the # sries 61000-61249. I am starting with an HO scale
Accucraft O.B. boxcar as the side spacings are correct. Does anyone
know what type roof these cars had? I only have 1 photo of said car but
I think one of you could possibly make out what kind of roof I will
need for this project.I have modeled for over 40 years now and this is
going to be my first car built to a specific prototype and hope fully
can take it to the Naperville, IL PRM meet come October so I need all
the help I can muster. Any and all help will be highly appreciative.
Thanks, Davey

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Davey Powell asked:
"I am searching for some info on Virginian, class BX-10/11, 40 foot
O.B. boxcars that were built by Baltimore Car & Foundry in 1906.
These are 50 ton, steel frame cars in the # series 61000-61249. I am
starting with an HO scale Accu[rail] O.B. boxcar as the side spacings
are correct. Does anyone know what type roof these cars had?"

Hutchins, 12 carlines. Be advised that if you're looking for an
accurate model of this car, the Accurail model is good only for a
stand-in:

http://www.accurail.com/accurail/art/4100/4111.jpg

- The Accurail car is too tall (model 9 ft IH vs prototype 8 ft IH).
For single sheathed (NOT OUTSIDE BRACED) boxcars, you can't cut a foot
out of the body as you end up chopping off the top of the truss.

- The model roof has 13 carlines; the prototype has 12.

- The ends of the Accurail car are incorrect. The prototype had steel
ends with three pressed steel vertical reinforcements

That being said, you're in luck if you want an accurate model of this
car bad enough to scratchbuild it. Plans by Bob Hundman ran in the
February 2005 issue of Mainline Modeler, and a detailed series of
articles on scratchbuilding this car ran in the March, April, May, and
une 2005 issues of Mainline Modeler. Additionally, decals for this
car are available from Bill Moesteller of Great Decals:
http://www.greatdecals.com/

Ben Hom

David Powell <daveydiesel@...>

Ben,

Many THANKS for all the info. I knew the ends would need to be scratch
built and I thought the car looked to tall as compared to the pix on the VGN
Group but with that said I guess I will build a stand in but mine will have
the letter boards on the sides, not like the Accurail car. Now I have to
find the back issues of MM if I am going to pursue this venture. I see the
underframe is all wrong too so will replace. Again THANKS for all this great
info.
Davey

"I am searching for some info on Virginian, class BX-10/11, 40 foot
O.B. boxcars that were built by Baltimore Car & Foundry in 1906.
These are 50 ton, steel frame cars in the # series 61000-61249. I am
starting with an HO scale Accu[rail] O.B. boxcar as the side spacings
are correct. Does anyone know what type roof these cars had?"

Hutchins, 12 carlines. Be advised that if you're looking for an
accurate model of this car, the Accurail model is good only for a
stand-in:

HYPERLINK
"http://www.accurail.com/accurail/art/4100/4111.jpg"http://www.accurail.com/
accurail/art/4100/4111.jpg

- The Accurail car is too tall (model 9 ft IH vs prototype 8 ft IH).
For single sheathed (NOT OUTSIDE BRACED) boxcars, you can't cut a foot
out of the body as you end up chopping off the top of the truss.

- The model roof has 13 carlines; the prototype has 12.

- The ends of the Accurail car are incorrect. The prototype had steel
ends with three pressed steel vertical reinforcements

That being said, you're in luck if you want an accurate model of this
car bad enough to scratchbuild it. Plans by Bob Hundman ran in the
February 2005 issue of Mainline Modeler, and a detailed series of
articles on scratchbuilding this car ran in the March, April, May, and
une 2005 issues of Mainline Modeler. Additionally, decals for this
car are available from Bill Moesteller of Great Decals:
HYPERLINK "http://www.greatdecals.com/"http://www.greatdecals.com/

Ben Hom

_____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

* Visit your group "HYPERLINK
"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC"STMFC" on the web.

HYPERLINK
"mailto:STMFC-unsubscribe@...?subject=Unsubscribe"STMFC-unsubscr
ibe@...

_____

James D Thompson <jaydeet@...>

I knew the ends would need to be scratch built
You could borrow the ends from this: http://www.westerfield.biz/it390006.htm (though you may need to cut some height out of the bottom). Also, the cars were built in 1916, not 1906.

David Thompson

David Powell <daveydiesel@...>

Dave,

THANKS for the heads up on the ends. I came up with the year 1906 from the
VGN Group. Thanks again, Davey

"http://www.westerfield.biz/it390006.htm"http://www.westerfield.biz/it390006
.htm (though you may need to cut some
height out of the bottom). Also, the cars were built in 1916, not 1906.

David Thompson

HYPERLINK
"http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Train+travel&w1=Train+travel&w2=Train+t
ravel+uk&w3=Train+travel+in+usa&w4=Train+travel+vacation&w5=Freight+car&w6=C
anada+train+travel&c=6&s=133&.sig=tE9uU3Es1d2edJS-KZEKqg"Train travel

HYPERLINK
"http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Train+travel+uk&w1=Train+travel&w2=Trai
n+travel+uk&w3=Train+travel+in+usa&w4=Train+travel+vacation&w5=Freight+car&w
6=Canada+train+travel&c=6&s=133&.sig=edcaK_n4EwTQYjeOx11UPA"Train travel uk

HYPERLINK
"http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Train+travel+in+usa&w1=Train+travel&w2=
Train+travel+uk&w3=Train+travel+in+usa&w4=Train+travel+vacation&w5=Freight+c
ar&w6=Canada+train+travel&c=6&s=133&.sig=Gk8xNGzua79PhA4d81evPA"Train travel
in usa

HYPERLINK
"http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Train+travel+vacation&w1=Train+travel&w
2=Train+travel+uk&w3=Train+travel+in+usa&w4=Train+travel+vacation&w5=Freight
+car&w6=Canada+train+travel&c=6&s=133&.sig=jvydR-heeen6fWEU71MSyA"Train
travel vacation

HYPERLINK
"http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Freight+car&w1=Train+travel&w2=Train+tr
avel+uk&w3=Train+travel+in+usa&w4=Train+travel+vacation&w5=Freight+car&w6=Ca
nada+train+travel&c=6&s=133&.sig=R4YBAHDo68zYkL4JcWHeZw"Freight car

HYPERLINK
"http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Canada+train+travel&w1=Train+travel&w2=
Train+travel+uk&w3=Train+travel+in+usa&w4=Train+travel+vacation&w5=Freight+c
ar&w6=Canada+train+travel&c=6&s=133&.sig=RqVJtLSTtN6-xUYPSnJd4A"Canada train
travel

_____