TH&B colour date

sarbuf <djjanes@...>

Hello Group: I model the later 1950's and was looking at the new
Intermountain 40' steel boxcars and was wondering what year they
started getting painted in the yellow and black scheme like on the
model. I know they were built in the 40's but not sure if the models
colour scheme would fit my era.

Thanks in advance
Don Janes
Sarnia, Ont.
Canada

mcindoefalls

--- In STMFC@..., "sarbuf" <djjanes@...> wrote:

Was looking at the new
Intermountain 40' steel boxcars and was wondering what year they
started getting painted in the yellow and black scheme like on the
model.
I posted your question to the CPSIG group, and a respondent advises
that the CDS dry transfer catalog says "1954". That's about the same
time TH&B parent CPR went to the "stepped" lettering on its boxcars.

Walt Lankenau

Ed Hawkins

On Tuesday, May 30, 2006, at 10:08 PM, sarbuf wrote:

Hello Group: I model the later 1950's and was looking at the new
Intermountain 40' steel boxcars and was wondering what year they
started getting painted in the yellow and black scheme like on the
model. I know they were built in the 40's but not sure if the models
colour scheme would fit my era.

Thanks in advance
Don Janes
Don,
The TH&B had AAR all-steel box cars built 7-49 assigned to series 3000-3299 that were painted with yellow sides and black ends and roofs. A second series numbered 3300-3599 came in May 1953. Photos of these cars appear in my article in the January 2000 Railmodel Journal.

If the model depicted in the InterMountain web sit of car #3090 is correct, the model is incorrect. All of these cars had diagonal panel roofs.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

mcindoefalls

--- In STMFC@..., "sarbuf" <djjanes@...> wrote:

Was looking at the new
Intermountain 40' steel boxcars and was wondering what year they
started getting painted in the yellow and black scheme like on the
model.
Another reply from the CPSIG:

The May 2006 issue of Focus, the magazine of the TH&B Railway Historical
Society has a good article on modeling the 3000-3599 Series 40 ft steel
boxcars from Branchline Model kit. The yellow scheme also known as the
"Ti-Cat" paint scheme. The first cars in the series were painted
Tuscan with
white lettering starting in 1949, By 1952 the railway had started painting
these cars into the yellow/black scheme. There was two versions of the
yellow box car. First were simply yellow sides with black roof, ends and
door with black lettering. In 1955 there was a change to the white/black
TH&B logo and the car lettering locations were changed somewhat.

As registrar for the TH&B Historical Society I would be pleased to
sell you
a copy. Total issue is 28 pages.

Also be sure to check out the TH&B Historical Society web page at
www.thbrailway.ca

Richard Dilley

Ed Hawkins

On Thursday, June 1, 2006, at 06:15 AM, mcindoefalls wrote:

[...]

In going back through all my photos of the two groups of TH&B cars, I now realize that I made a mistake about the colors on the first group of 300 cars in series 3000-3299. I was always under the impression that the 1949-built cars were yellow and black like the later group built in 1953. This isn't correct! All the photos I have of the 3000-3299 series cars are yellow and black, but were taken from 1954 or later and none show a "new" date. This means they are all repainted cars. To date I've never come across an early in-service photo from this group, however, in looking at the National Archives of Canada list I find that a photo of 3245 is available. I will soon order this photo. I apologize for the incorrect information I specified earlier to this discussion group. I plead mea culpa.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Terry Link

From: "mcindoefalls" <mcindoefalls@...>
Was looking at the new

Barry Bennett <Barrybennetttoo@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Bill McCoy" <wpmccoy@...> wrote:

Considering the TH&B's ownership is there any chance these cars
frequented the US with any regularity?

Bill McCoy
Jax

Hi Bill,

There is a photo of a yellow car in Tony Thompson's SP Freight cars
vol 3 in the flat car section on page 262 at St Louis, MO in Oct
1956, 'probably destined for steel fabricator Nooter Corporation',
whose plant is in the same phto. The body side number is hidden but
the end number is barely visible with a magnifying glass and appears
to be 74(5 or 6)3. The car has square corners.

This could indicate a regular delivery, but there again, may be a one
off. Who can tell? But it does indicate that the cars got that far at
least.

Cheers

Barry Bennett

Coventry, England.

mopacfirst

I have a shot of TH&B 3533, still in yellow & black, southbound on
the Rock Island at Wichita. This would put its destination at
somewhere in Oklahoma or Texas. Date was May 1973.

Ron Merrick

On Friday, June 2, 2006, at 04:10 AM, Bill McCoy wrote:

Considering the TH&B's ownership is there any chance these cars
frequented the US with any regularity?
Bill,
I don't know how frequent, but TH&B box cars in yellow and black were found to at least some extent with the following photos:
3042, Paul Dunn photo (Zanesville, Ohio ?) circa 1960
3051, M. Gruber collection, Atchison, Kansas 1/9/54
3102, Col. Chet McCoid photo from Bob's Photo, San Diego, Ca. 12/28/56
3423, E.P. Herzog photo, St. Louis, Mo. early 1960s
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Schuyler Larrabee

I saw and photographed one in [the B&M yard in Greenfield, next to the Connecticut River of which I
can't think of the name} probably 20+ years ago.

SGL

Keith Sirman <keith.sirman@...>

On Friday, June 2, 2006, at 04:10 AM, Bill McCoy wrote:

Considering the TH&B's ownership is there any chance these cars
frequented the US with any regularity?
Bill,
I don't know how frequent, but TH&B box cars in yellow and black were
found to at least some extent with the following photos:
3042, Paul Dunn photo (Zanesville, Ohio ?) circa 1960
3051, M. Gruber collection, Atchison, Kansas 1/9/54
3102, Col. Chet McCoid photo from Bob's Photo, San Diego, Ca. 12/28/56
3423, E.P. Herzog photo, St. Louis, Mo. early 1960s
Regards,
Ed Hawkins
I remember hearing about the head of the Aberdeen car shops here in Hamilton
in tears in 1954 as a string of new ticat cars where being returned to
Hamilton in gons after being wrecked in Texas. There is a shot in NYC Gone
But Not Forgotten book of one of the boxcar red cars in New York. Anytime
you want builders dates for the TH&B stuff, I`ll be glad to forward it
along.
Not quite dead yet.;-)
Keith Sirman