Atlas Trainman hopper

Tim O'Connor

Is Atlas demoting some of their old models to "Trainman"
status or is this a new model?

http://www.atlastrainman.com/HOFreight/tmho2bay.htm

Tim O'Connor

SUVCWORR@...

According to the discussion in Atlas' forum this is the same offset 2 bay
hopper Atlas has offered in the past in new paint schemes and/or new road
numbers.

Rich Orr

Greg Bartek

Tim,

AFAIK, the 2 bay offset hopper and the PS-2 are now part of the
Trainman line. Demoting?....nah. Same model, different box.

Greg Bartek

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"Is Atlas demoting some of their old models to "Trainman" status or is
this a new model?"

http://www.atlastrainman.com/HOFreight/tmho2bay.htm

It's a bit disconcerting to see that their paint and lettering layout
drawings still have that goofy center side stake of the original run
of this model.

Ben Hom

Andy Carlson

Yes, my understanding was that their earliest artwork ATLAS sent to China had a 2 page drawing crossing over the binding, and in China, the pasted together print yielded the "Extra Wide" rib, which was dutifully reproduced for us North Americans. They sold that way for some time, and I don't know if it was ever corrected, since as a Westerner, I get to ignore coal Hoppers.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Andy Carlson wrote:
"...my understanding was that their earliest artwork ATLAS sent to
China had a 2 page drawing crossing over the binding, and in China,
the pasted together print yielded the "Extra Wide" rib, which was
dutifully reproduced for us North Americans. They sold that way for
some time, and I don't know if it was ever corrected, since as a
Westerner, I get to ignore coal Hoppers."

Atlas did eventually correct the tooling. You can still find some of
the early run models floating around in old hobby shop stock and eBay -
I pick them up for use as fodder for the Sunshine AAR alternate
standards hopper minikits. Gets them off the streets and puts them to
constructive use.

Ben Hom

Schuyler Larrabee

http://www.atlastrainman.com/HOFreight/tmho2bay.htm

It's a bit disconcerting to see that their paint and
lettering layout drawings still have that goofy center side
stake of the original run of this model.

Ben Hom
Uh, Ben? I think that's quite a ways down the list of important things for Atlas to fix.

SGL

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
"Uh, Ben? I think that's quite a ways down the list of important
things for Atlas to fix."

On the contrary, it's much more important than you think. If you're
going to go through the trouble to correct tooling, you've got to go
back and make sure all of your supporting drawings and documentation
match the new tooling. Otherwise, old drawings have a bad habit of
coming back to bite you in the ass.

Case in point: the helicopter hangar door onboard my first ship, a
Knox-class frigate, needed replacement after being broken by a
disgruntled sailor. It was a roll-type door, and the sailor had
kept cranking after the door was fully open, breaking some of the
slats on the door. The ships were originally built with a small
hangar to accomodate DASH (Drone Anti-Submarine Helicopter), a small
remote-controlled helicopter.
http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app4/qh-50.html
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/ff-1086-dvic145.jpg

Built with late 1950s-early 1960s technology, these had the bad
habit of crashing or flying over the horizon and not coming back, so
the ships received manned UH-2/SH-2 LAMPS I helicopters. These
required a larger hangar, and the ships were refitted with a larger
telescoping hangar.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/sh-2.htm
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/ff-1089-h96767.jpg

No new doors were in stock, so it had to be custom made. The Ensign
in charge of the division, fresh out of Annapolis and eager to do
the right thing, went down to the Tech Library and pulled a set of
drawings for the door. Her Master Chief told her the story of the
old DASH hangar and suggested that she might want to check the
drawings against the hangar opening, but she wouldn't have any of
this. The drawings went off to the door manufacturer (who charged
us $5,000 back in 1993), and when the door came back, it didn't
fit! It was finally donated to one of the preserved FRAM destroyers
were also fitted to fly DASH.

Configuration control can be a real pain sometimes...

Ben Hom