[Baltimore_and_Ohio] Time-Saver promotional cars/ Sentinel Service cars

James Mischke <jmischke@...>

Research is ongoing, and every additional tidbit changes the story.

Time-Saver Blue/Orange scheme

To the best of our knowledge, the Timesaver promotional scheme (blue with and
orange comet) was applied to only six or seven M-55h boxcars. Probably on an as
needed basis for periodic train fairs. It was easier to paint up another one than
find where the hell the previous ones were. And since the existing ones would
need a fresh paint job anyway, why bother??

For a counterpoint, look one of the small photos in the 2005 or 2006 B&OHS calendar
(I review these a year in advance and I cut mine up for the photos, so I get
confused). It shows a Q-3 2-8-2 at North Vernon, Ind. on 1/3/58 by Soph Marty,
being passed by a moving train with TWO such M-55c boxcars. Even if this is a
Timesaver LCL train or block of LCL cars, or some other bias, what are the
statistical chances of THAT with only six cars systemwide?? Motivation for deeper
digging.

Sentinel Service aluminum over blue scheme

To the best of our knowledge, the Sentinel Service promotional scheme (aluminum
over blue) was applied to a hundred or so M-55c boxcars (466000-99 and several
others) and not maintained per memo after 1958.

The 500 M-55c boxcars 466000-499 were delivered in 1945 (in red paint with the
earliest 13 great states lettering) and supposed to be low clearance. Probably due
an oversight, the lateral running boards were not low clearance, and would be
modified by the Parkersburg Subdivision tunnels if not the shops. A running
board modification program was started in 1947 by Mt. Clare and involved the first
100 cars. These cars were concurrently painted in the aluminum over blue scheme,
and subsequently allowed anywhere on the system. Modifications to the other 400
M-55c boxcars were authorized in due course, but that block 466100-499 would not be
allowed on the Parkersburg Subdivision until all 400 cars were so modified.
Several cars in this 400 car block are photographed in the aluminum over blue
scheme. Authorization for additional modifications was withdrawn in 1956 when the
modification became moot because the last offending tunnel was daylighted.

Red B&O boxcars with slogans
--------------------------------------

To be complete, there was another promotional scheme. Beginning in late1957, new
and shopped boxcars were painted in a new oxide red scheme featuring a billboard
"B&O " on the left and a "Time Saver Service" slogan on the right. In 1958, a
"Sentinel Service Dependability" alternate logo was introduced. Two thirds of
shopped cars were lettered with this alternate slogan until a fleet parity was
reached. Thereafter these two slogans were applied in equal numbers until 1962.

Sentinel Service
-------------------

Sentinel Service was introduced in 1947 as a scheduling and car tracing premium
service for carload freight, a network of teletype lines, clerks, and baling wire
decades before computer networks.. It was not a train per se. Some photos show a
line of aluminum over blue cars, these were dispersed as soon as the photographer
put the camera away. Cars marked Sentinel Service were merely rolling billboards
and could be seen anywhere. When computers came to B&O and were used in car
tracing for shipper. this process became known as the 'D-O-T" system in literature,
not freight car schemes.

Time-Saver LCL service
-------------------------------

Time-Saver Service was what the B&O called its less-than-carload (LCL) freight
business after 1950. Cars marked Time Saver Service were merely rolling
billboards, could be seen anywhere, and not necessarily in LCL service. Boxcars
fit for LCL service (clean, mechanically sound, low clearance for systemwide
service) were marked with a little "circle T "by the reporting marks,. There were
far, far more cars marked with a "circle T" than actually engaged in the LCL
business. B&O terminated its LCL business in 1962.

Frederick Ripley wrote:

List,

Am I reading this correctly that there were only 6 or 7 cars, total, in this
scheme?

What about the Sentinel Service cars, with the position light emblem? Was
this considerably more common?

Thanks, Fred R.

--- Jim Mischke wrote (excerpts):

I recently fielded a serious manufacturer inquiry about the Timesaver
promotional boxcars, the seven known B&O class M-55h 10'-0" inside
height boxcars painted the familiar blue with a big orange comet...

Jim,

I know of six such cars: 467071, 467109, 467226, 467286, 467434, and
467439 - which one am I missing? Are there photos of it? Where?

Brian DeVries

Yahoo! Groups Links

Thomas Baker

Your reference to the blue and orange cars brings up another question: I have been told--a caveat always goes with that and for that reason I am asking--that some of the blue and orange cars had blue roofs and that others had silver roofs. If there were only six cars, well, the small number makes the story a little incredulous. If there were more, then, perhaps a variation existed. Does anyone know about this?

Tom

________________________________

--- Jim Mischke wrote (excerpts):

I recently fielded a serious manufacturer inquiry about the Timesaver
promotional boxcars, the seven known B&O class M-55h 10'-0" inside
height boxcars painted the familiar blue with a big orange comet...

Jim,

I know of six such cars: 467071, 467109, 467226, 467286, 467434, and
467439 - which one am I missing? Are there photos of it? Where?

Brian DeVries

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

jim_mischke <jmischke@...>

Even amongst the six or seven blue with orange comet Time-Saver
boxcars (again, the number dearly needs documentation), there were
variations.

Roof paint: there is one photo of one with a blue roof, the rest
seem to be painted aluminum. A subsequent photo of the blue roof
boxcar shows it with an aluminum roof.

Comet shape: some orange comets are thinner and pointier than others

Logo lettering: some cars have "B&O" and "T-S" characters within the
circular logo in different colors than other cars

--- Jim Mischke wrote (excerpts):

I recently fielded a serious manufacturer inquiry about the
Timesaver
promotional boxcars, the seven known B&O class M-55h 10'-0" inside
height boxcars painted the familiar blue with a big orange
comet...

Jim,

I know of six such cars: 467071, 467109, 467226, 467286, 467434,
and
467439 - which one am I missing? Are there photos of it? Where?

Brian DeVries

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

Thomas Baker

Thanks, Jim. Information from a person who knows is always appreciated.

Tom