Dreadnaught Ends Question

buchwaldfam <duff@...>

Is there a specific cutoff date (month, year??) when Dreadnaught
ends went from 3/3/3 to 4/5 (three panel to two)? Something similar
to when Murphy roof panels went from rectangular to diagonal in 1948?
I'm woring on a MILW 50' box car which was built in 1929. Similar
cars built two years earlier had 3/3/3 ends, but the equipment diagram
doesn't mention the style on the 1929 car. 1928 built 40' cars had 4/5
ends, so my guess is that the 1929 cars did also....

Thanks!
Phil Buchwald

al_brown03

What number series is the car you're building?

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "buchwaldfam" <duff@...> wrote:

Is there a specific cutoff date (month, year??) when Dreadnaught
ends went from 3/3/3 to 4/5 (three panel to two)? Something similar
to when Murphy roof panels went from rectangular to diagonal in
1948?
I'm woring on a MILW 50' box car which was built in 1929. Similar
cars built two years earlier had 3/3/3 ends, but the equipment
diagram
doesn't mention the style on the 1929 car. 1928 built 40' cars had
4/5
ends, so my guess is that the 1929 cars did also....

Thanks!
Phil Buchwald

buchwaldfam <duff@...>

It's 272000 - 272303, built as 271500 - 271999 in 1929. There's a good
photo of 271693 in the July 1996 Railmodel Journal, but the caption
states that, "Neither had end doors, but the 1929 cars had small
lumber doors in their A ends". The caption also states that the cars
had 3/3/3 dreadnaught ends. My question is because the earlier 40'
cars already had 4/5 ends.
Also interesting, the equipment drawing states, "END DOOR DWG-AS
WING CAR A-3968", and the illustration shows an end door. Also stated,
"STEEL END_ _ _ _ UNION MET. PROD. CO."
There is a note that states that the car was converted as a wing car
in 1944, and roof lowered in 1946. Would they have installed end doors
and then gone to the trouble of removing them from such an old car?

Thanks,
Phil Buchwald

--- In STMFC@..., "al_brown03" <abrown@...> wrote:

What number series is the car you're building?

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "buchwaldfam" <duff@> wrote:

Is there a specific cutoff date (month, year??) when Dreadnaught
ends went from 3/3/3 to 4/5 (three panel to two)? Something similar
to when Murphy roof panels went from rectangular to diagonal in
1948?
I'm woring on a MILW 50' box car which was built in 1929. Similar
cars built two years earlier had 3/3/3 ends, but the equipment
diagram
doesn't mention the style on the 1929 car. 1928 built 40' cars had
4/5
ends, so my guess is that the 1929 cars did also....

Thanks!
Phil Buchwald

al_brown03

There's a picture of MILW 272015 in Maywald's "Classic Freight Cars
vol 8" (p 40), with end doors. This picture post-dates replacement
of the wood siding with steel.

Anyone know how common it was to retrofit cars with end doors? The
retrofit would include adding that heavy frame around the end doors.