Seaboard steam era stock cars/Pratt truss stock cars

ed_mines

Anyone see a photo or drawing of one of these rare cars? What do they
look like?

The dimensions in the equipment registers are near identical to the
classic single sheathed Pratt truss SAL box cars.

Did any railroads have Pratt trussed stock cars besides PM or the old
Ulrich model?

Ed

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Ed Mines asked:

Anyone see a photo or drawing of one of these rare cars? What do they
look like?

The dimensions in the equipment registers are near identical to the
classic single sheathed Pratt truss SAL box cars.

Did any railroads have Pratt trussed stock cars besides PM or the old
Ulrich model?

In 1944, the B&M converted 15 of its #72000 series Pratt Truss boxcars constructed in 1930 to be stock cars. These stockcars were renumbered into the #57500-57514 series, and were reconverted back to boxcars in 1955-56.

The extent of the 1944 conversion was to replace the solid wood sheathing on the side with slats so the livestock could get a breath of "fresh air." The #27500 series' trucks, steel side trusses, ends, roofs, and underframe were the same as they were before the conversion.

Tim Gilbert

lnbill <bwelch@...>

The PRR had Pratt trussed cars and the L&N had copies.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@..., "ed_mines" <ed_mines@...> wrote:

Anyone see a photo or drawing of one of these rare cars? What do they
look like?

The dimensions in the equipment registers are near identical to the
classic single sheathed Pratt truss SAL box cars.

Did any railroads have Pratt trussed stock cars besides PM or the old
Ulrich model?

Ed

Andy Carlson

It was late into our covered era (1958), but Great Northern converted Pratt trussed 40' boxcars into stockcars which were distinctive in their reuse of Youngstown doors after cutting oval slots for ventillation.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...> wrote: Ed Mines asked:

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Ed Mines wrote:
Did any railroads have Pratt trussed stock cars besides PM or the old
Ulrich model?
The Harriman stock cars of UP and SP were Pratt trussed, and Red Caboose is about to release them in HO scale.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Miller, Andrew S. <asmiller@...>

The PRR K8 stock cars were Pratt truss. Up to 1952 the PRR had almost
1000 of them. See:

http://prr.railfan.net/freight/freightphotos.html?photo=PRR_128079_K8_3
4view.jpg&fr=clK8

regards,

Andy Miller

________________________________

> Did any railroads have Pratt trussed stock cars besides PM or
the old
> Ulrich model?

The Harriman stock cars of UP and SP were Pratt trussed, and
Red
Caboose is about to release them in HO scale.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail,
thompson@... <mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com>
Publishers of books on railroad history

al_brown03

SAL's class S-1 stock cars, numbered 7900-7949 then 6900-6949 then
3020-3054 (50 cars, two renumberings), were rebuilt from class B-3
Pratt truss boxcars, hence the dimensional similarity. :-) There's a
photo of SAL 3043 in Lines South 4th/04, p 26, accompanying John
Golden's article on SAL's composite boxcars and rebuilds from them.
SAL 3033, shown on the back cover of the same issue, was an oddball
rebuilt from a B-*5* box.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "ed_mines" <ed_mines@...> wrote:

Anyone see a photo or drawing of one of these rare cars? What do
they
look like?

The dimensions in the equipment registers are near identical to the
classic single sheathed Pratt truss SAL box cars.

Did any railroads have Pratt trussed stock cars besides PM or the
old
Ulrich model?

Ed

seaboard_1966

I have, and have furnished to Mr. Westerfield, a set of general arrangement drawings for Seaboard Air Line stock cars.

Denis F. Blake

SAL's class S-1 stock cars, numbered 7900-7949 then 6900-6949 then
3020-3054 (50 cars, two renumberings), were rebuilt from class B-3
Pratt truss boxcars, hence the dimensional similarity. :-) There's a
photo of SAL 3043 in Lines South 4th/04, p 26, accompanying John
Golden's article on SAL's composite boxcars and rebuilds from them.
SAL 3033, shown on the back cover of the same issue, was an oddball
rebuilt from a B-*5* box.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "ed_mines" <ed_mines@...> wrote:

> Anyone see a photo or drawing of one of these rare cars? What do
they
> look like?
>
> The dimensions in the equipment registers are near identical to the
> classic single sheathed Pratt truss SAL box cars.
>
> Did any railroads have Pratt trussed stock cars besides PM or the
old
> Ulrich model?
>

> Ed

golden1014

--- In STMFC@..., "ed_mines" <ed_mines@...> wrote:

Anyone see a photo or drawing of one of these rare cars? What do
they
look like?

The dimensions in the equipment registers are near identical to
the
classic single sheathed Pratt truss SAL box cars.

Did any railroads have Pratt trussed stock cars besides PM or the
old
Ulrich model?

Ed
Ed,

Seaboard rebuilt 50 cars from the B-3 series in 1940 into stock
cars. The new class was S-1. The original cars were pratt truss, SS
cars with 7-8 ends and Hutchins (or Murphy XLA--the jury's still out
on this) ends with Andrews trucks. When the railroad rebuilt the
cars, it apperas they simply removed the sheathing and replaced it
with slatted boards. These were single deck cars. The ends,
underframe, trusses, and other features remained the same, so the
cars *should* look like B-3s. There's photo evidence that Seaboard
rebuild one B-5 into a stock car, and left the car lettered as a B-
5. SAL tended to do some odd things.

BTW, you can forget modeling one unless you want to scratch one up.

Yes, I have several photos and will be happy to forward them to you
off-line.

John

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

proto48er

Questions for John Golden or Al Brown (or any other experts) about
the following Seaboard ventilated cars:

Class V-9 SAL #89000 - #89899

Class V-9 SAL #28000 - #29249

Class V-10 SAL #79000 - #79999

Which of these car series had the flat steel ends with single
horizontal bulb brace?

Which of these car series had the Murphy or corrugated steel ends?

Did these cars all have a "fishbelly" steel centersill?

Who were the builders and what were the built dates for each series?

Are there any on-line photos of any of these prototype cars?

Thank you very much! A.T. Kott

proto48er

--- In STMFC@..., "proto48er" <atkott@...> wrote:

Questions for John Golden or Al Brown (or any other experts) about
the following Seaboard ventilated cars:

Class V-9 SAL #89000 - #89899

Class V-9 SAL #28000 - #29249

Class V-10 SAL #79000 - #79999

Which of these car series had the flat steel ends with single
horizontal bulb brace?

Which of these car series had the Murphy or corrugated steel ends?

Did these cars all have a "fishbelly" steel centersill?

Who were the builders and what were the built dates for each
series?

Are there any on-line photos of any of these prototype cars?

Thank you very much! A.T. Kott
Well, guys - I have answers for most of the above questions, but
have a few MORE questions!

Who built the above cars?

Were they extensively rebuilt in the 1940's or 1950's? I found a
photo of a flat-end car which has an all steel ventilated door on
it, with mesh like chain link fencing. Was that modification done
to many of the cars? When was it done?

Thanks again! A.T. Kott

seaboard_1966