REP Morris Rifkin & Son refrigerator cars

Thomas Baker

About two months ago two people were kind enough to send me JPEGS of a URTX Morris Rifkin & Son refrigerator car. The two photos bring up some questions.

One car, number 5100, is clearly a 36 or 37-foot car. The JPEG of the other car, also in the 5100-series [I cannot locate the photo at the moment.] was photographed in the consist of a train. It appears to be a 40-foot car.

Is it possible that some URTX cars leased to Morris Rifkin & Son were 40-foot cars and not the expected 36 or 37-foot cars that meat reefers often were?

Years ago a friend of mine photographed and modeled a Morris Rifkin car, number 5112. His model was a 40-foot car. This was probably not a kit or possibly an adapted kit. In any case, he was usually quite accurate in his work.

Any comments?

Tom

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 13, 2006, at 3:21 AM, Thomas Baker wrote:

About two months ago two people were kind enough to send me JPEGS of a URTX Morris Rifkin & Son refrigerator car. The two photos bring up some questions.

One car, number 5100, is clearly a 36 or 37-foot car. The JPEG of the other car, also in the 5100-series [I cannot locate the photo at the moment.] was photographed in the consist of a train. It appears to be a 40-foot car.
This is probably a Chet McCoid photo of URTX 5162 at Plymouth, IN in October of 1952. That car in 5120-5175 series was a 36' car built in the 1930s by General American with a Duryea cushion underframe; overall length is shown in the ORERs as 39'6", but that's because the draft gear extended well beyond the end sills.

Is it possible that some URTX cars leased to Morris Rifkin & Son were 40-foot cars and not the expected 36 or 37-foot cars that meat reefers often were?
In the absence of photographic evidence, I can't say for sure, but it's certainly the case that URT leased some 40' reefers to other meat packing houses, as I have photos of such cars.

Years ago a friend of mine photographed and modeled a Morris Rifkin car, number 5112. His model was a 40-foot car. This was probably not a kit or possibly an adapted kit. In any case, he was usually quite accurate in his work.
URTX 5100-5119 are shown in the 1/53 ORER as 40' cars.

Richard Hendrickson

Thomas Baker

Richard,

Thank you for resonding to my inquiry about Morris Rifkin & Son refrigerator cars. As I said, I have a JEPG of #5100. From the angle of photography it appeared to me as a 35/37-foot car. Shows how an angle can be deceptive. I am trying to do this car S-scale. That means I will be scratch-building the car. I have begun and have the body completed.

Do you know how I can obtain a clear image of the photo. Its quality is good, but transmission over the internet does blur some things. Above the doors, for example, I read: "Beef Rails, then something else but illegible. I also cannot determine the dimensional data on the right hand side and the lettering near the bottom of the right side and closer to the doors than to the ladder.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

Tom