Is there an accurate RI stockcar available?

Charlie Duckworth <trduck@...>

I'm wanting to build a couple of RI stock cars for the layout. Is
there anything out that's close to the prototype. Been looking at Al
Westerfield's kits but I really don't have enough information to know
if any of them are close to the prototype. If there's nothing close
did the RI use the Mather stockcars online?

Thanks - Charlie

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 22, 2006, at 7:10 AM, Charlie Duckworth wrote:

I'm wanting to build a couple of RI stock cars for the layout. Is
there anything out that's close to the prototype. Been looking at Al
Westerfield's kits but I really don't have enough information to know
if any of them are close to the prototype. If there's nothing close
did the RI use the Mather stockcars online?
Charlie, I'm not aware of any HO scale models of RI stock cars (or of cars that are reasonably close), and the RIU didin't lease Mather cars. However, the RI rebuilt some of its 40' Fowler-clone box cars into double-deck stock cars after WW II, and Westerfield has a kit for the box cars. Converting the kit would require new sides and doors; the rest of the cars were unchanged. Better yet, you could make patterns for one side and one set of doors and get Al to produce a complete stock car kit.

Richard Hendrickson

Westerfield <westerfield@...>

Charlie - I have the general arrangements for RI stock cars rebuilt from B4 box cars and hope to do them within the next year. - Al

Jared Harper <harper-brown@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Westerfield" <westerfield@...> wrote:

Charlie - I have the general arrangements for RI stock cars rebuilt
from B4 box cars and hope to do them within the next year. - Al

So, are these the cars Richard H. is talking about? I can use a couple
of single deck R.I. cars, but not double deckers.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Steve and Barb Hile

Most of the Rock Island stock cars that were rebuilt from "Fowler Clone" boxcars were single deck cars. I imagine that Al will do the most common cars, but both would be nice.....

Steve Hile

> Charlie - I have the general arrangements for RI stock cars rebuilt
from B4 box cars and hope to do them within the next year. - Al

So, are these the cars Richard H. is talking about? I can use a couple
of single deck R.I. cars, but not double deckers.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Charlie Duckworth <trduck@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Westerfield" <westerfield@...> wrote:

Charlie - I have the general arrangements for RI stock cars rebuilt
from B4 box cars and hope to do them within the next year. - Al

Al:
Great news for the 'real' RI modelers and us Mopac guys that model the
RI on the side.
8^)

Rob & Bev Manley

Great news, Al. I built 2 of your Rock Island Fowler Clones and they were total joy to build. I'm looking forward to the stock cars.
Sincerely,
Rob Manley
Midwest Mod-U-Trak

"When building kits is a lost art,
Only lost artists will be building kits !!"

Charlie - I have the general arrangements for RI stock cars rebuilt from B4 box cars and hope to do them within the next year. - Al
I'm wanting to build a couple of RI stock cars for the layout. Is
there anything out that's close to the prototype. Been looking at Al
Westerfield's kits but I really don't have enough information to know
if any of them are close to the prototype. If there's nothing close
did the RI use the Mather stockcars online?

Thanks - Charlie

Brian Ehni <behni@...>

Sign me up!
Brian