My New Compressor

lnbill <bwelch@...>

I received my new compressor last week and I am very pleased. It is a
Campbell-Hausfeld Model # FP2040. Here is the link, I hope it works!

http://aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?
cPath=3_180_26&products_id=119

While not completely silent, it is very quiet.

If you are in the market, I recommend checking it out.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

Bill Welch wrote

I received my new compressor last week and I am very pleased. It is a
Campbell-Hausfeld Model # FP2040. Here is the link, I hope it works!
http://aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?
cPath=3_180_26&products_id=119
While not completely silent, it is very quiet.
Bill, I see in the product spec that it produces .7 SCFM@90psi.
I looked up a similarly priced Sears Craftsman compressor, and
it produces 2.4 SCFM@90psi -- or over 340% as much air at that
pressure. These are continuous ratings of course, and we don't
usually spray paint constantly for more than a minute, but I
wonder if other folks have an opinion on the value of the SCFM
ratings.

Tim O'Connor

Stephanie Miller <atsf@...>

but I wonder if other folks have an opinion on the value of the SCFM
ratings.<
It totally depends on what you use it for, model painting only or general usage. I had a low SCFM compressor once that I used for airbrushing and it worked fine. When building a new house I thought I would spray that acoustical stuff with it. It ran out of air in about a minute and could not keep up. I needed about 10 SCFM@100psi for this job and then the compressor still ran often.
So determine usage first.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Pete Brown \(YahooGroups\) <YahooLists@...>

I'm not sure if this is on topic for this list or not. This is something
used to paint freight cars, but that's a stretch.

However, I generally take Craftsman ratings with a huge grain of salt. They
overrate all their motors, HP and similar using wonderful terminology like
"max develop" which is pretty meaningless. I wouldn't be surprised if the
SCFM is also similarly overrated with some caveat. Having had several of
their tools crap out on me, I tend to avoid their stuff now.

That being said, the higher the real SCFM, the more uses you can have for
the compressor above and beyond basic airbrushing. A model-sized airbrush
has pretty modest requirements, but grinders, nailers, paint guns and other
tools can really tax a small compressor, making it run far more often

When looking at compressors I check to see if it will hit the CFM and PSI
for the tools I use, and then I look at tank size. Bigger tank = less
running time during usage.

As an aside, the craftsman compressor that sells for 89.99 and is 2.4 SCFM
at 90PSI is an oiled compressor. You'll want to make sure you use an in-line
oil filter if you use that, otherwise you will ruin your paint job.
Craftsman has some others that are oil free. Oil free tend to be louder, but
easier to maintain.

The CH compressor shown on that site is likely pretty quiet and a good size
for an airbrush used to paint freight cars :-)

When looking for airbrush CFM requirements to post here, I ran across this
helpful posting

http://lsv.ceramics.org/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0605c
<http://lsv.ceramics.org/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0605c&L=clayart&H=1&P=39016>
&L=clayart&H=1&P=39016

Pete

Pete Brown - Gambrills, MD (Near Annapolis)
Visit my personal site : http://www.irritatedVowel.com
(wallpaper, western maryland ry, .net, photography, model rr)

_____

I received my new compressor last week and I am very pleased. It is a
Campbell-Hausfeld Model # FP2040. Here is the link, I hope it works!
http://aircompresso
<http://aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?>
rsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?
cPath=3_180_26&products_id=119
While not completely silent, it is very quiet.
Bill, I see in the product spec that it produces .7 SCFM@90psi.
I looked up a similarly priced Sears Craftsman compressor, and
it produces 2.4 SCFM@90psi -- or over 340% as much air at that
pressure. These are continuous ratings of course, and we don't
usually spray paint constantly for more than a minute, but I
wonder if other folks have an opinion on the value of the SCFM
ratings.

Bill Welch wrote (a while back)

I received my new compressor last week and I am very pleased. It is a
Campbell-Hausfeld Model # FP2040. Here is the link, I hope it works!
http://aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_180_26&products_id=119

Bill, I'm looking for a new compressor. This one looks good.
Two questions -- How is it holding up? And is it oil-less? The
web site doesn't indicate if it uses oil or not.

Thanks
Tim O'Connor

Rob & Bev Manley

That looks like the upgrade on my 25 year old Campbell Hausfeld. It still works good. Just ask my steam era freight cars.

Rob Manley

> I received my new compressor last week and I am very pleased. It is a
> Campbell-Hausfeld Model # FP2040. Here is the link, I hope it works!
http://aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_180_26&products_id=119

Bill, I'm looking for a new compressor. This one looks good.
Two questions -- How is it holding up? And is it oil-less? The
web site doesn't indicate if it uses oil or not.

Thanks
Tim O'Connor

lnbill <bwelch@...>

Tim it is oiless and I remain happy. I must admit I just recently
painted for the first itm in months, as I have had several models in
process for quite awhile. I like the built in gauges.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "cf5250" <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Bill Welch wrote (a while back)

I received my new compressor last week and I am very pleased. It
is a
Campbell-Hausfeld Model # FP2040. Here is the link, I hope it
works!
http://aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?
cPath=3_180_26&products_id=119

Bill, I'm looking for a new compressor. This one looks good.
Two questions -- How is it holding up? And is it oil-less? The
web site doesn't indicate if it uses oil or not.

Thanks
Tim O'Connor

radius158

Does this compressor have a moisture filter? Doug Gardner

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "lnbill" <bwelch@...> wrote:

[...]

I doubt it, but I'll let you know in a few days when it
arrives! I added one long ago to my airbrush air line.
This is a common accessory, needed in humid summers in
Massachusetts.

At 10/14/2007 10:46 PM Sunday, you wrote:
Does this compressor have a moisture filter? Doug Gardner

Campbell-Hausfeld Model # FP2040.
http://aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_180_26&products_id=119

lnbill <bwelch@...>

Although this is the conventional wisdom, to which I secumed when I
one years ago, I have never seen any moisture in the trap. My painting
has been done mostly in Tennessee and Virginia, two very humid places.
What I have noticed is that the moisture accumulates in the airtank,
and seems to stay there. When I empty the airtank after painting, out
it goes.

Bill Welch