Railshops Carbon black kits

dphobbies

Chris Zygmut doesn't seem to toot his horn, so I will. He dropped off
a bushel of his new Rail Shops Carbon Black covered hopper kits in HO
and they are stunning to say the least. They come in two different
schemes - Cabot early scheme with one centered medallion or the later
scheme with two medallions - one towards each end. They are kit #CB101
for late and CB102 for early. Each kit is $35.00. They should be
available at all good hobbyshops and they are available here as well.

If I was going to the Indiana PM meet this weekend I would bring a
bushel as these are gorgeous kits - actually refreshing - nice decals,
good instructions, maybe I'll learn something. Unfortunately I am
going elsewhere, but I might just bring one of these along.

Ron Sebastian
Des Plaines Hobbies
1468 Lee Street
Des Plaines, Il 60018
1-847-297-2118 fax:1-847-297-4976

vyoung5622@...

Ron,

Can I order one of each scheme from you? If so, reserve the two for me and I'll call in my Visa number tomorrow.

Virgil Young
4209 Kingston Road
Amarillo, TX 79109-5249
vyoung5622@...
806-352-4498

[...]

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

I thought the was an internet site for these but can't find it now.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Bruce Smith

On Tue, August 1, 2006 4:56 pm, dphobbies wrote:
Chris Zygmut doesn't seem to toot his horn, so I will. He dropped off
a bushel of his new Rail Shops Carbon Black covered hopper kits in HO
and they are stunning to say the least. They come in two different
schemes - Cabot early scheme with one centered medallion or the later
scheme with two medallions - one towards each end. They are kit #CB101
for late and CB102 for early.
Dates for each scheme?

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 1, 2006, at 8:24 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

On Tue, August 1, 2006 4:56 pm, dphobbies wrote:
Chris Zygmut doesn't seem to toot his horn, so I will. He dropped off
a bushel of his new Rail Shops Carbon Black covered hopper kits in HO
and they are stunning to say the least. They come in two different
schemes - Cabot early scheme with one centered medallion or the later
scheme with two medallions - one towards each end. They are kit #CB101
for late and CB102 for early.
Dates for each scheme?
The single medallion scheme was applied to new cars built in 2-47. How much earlier than that it was used, I don't know; the early '30s Cabot P/L was a much more elaborate billboard scheme. The two-medallion scheme was applied to new cars built in 8-49 and apparently continued in use through the 1950s.

Richard Hendrickson

Andy Cich <ajc5150@...>

I thought the was an internet site for these but can't find it now.

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

The single medallion scheme was applied to new cars built in 2-47<
What is the build data of this car, earlier than '47?

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

armprem

Correct me if I am wrong,but didn't Steve Funaro release a Cabot carbon
black car some years ago?Armand Premo

On Tue, August 1, 2006 4:56 pm, dphobbies wrote:
Chris Zygmut doesn't seem to toot his horn, so I will. He dropped off
a bushel of his new Rail Shops Carbon Black covered hopper kits in HO
and they are stunning to say the least. They come in two different
schemes - Cabot early scheme with one centered medallion or the later
scheme with two medallions - one towards each end. They are kit #CB101
for late and CB102 for early.
Dates for each scheme?

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Yahoo! Groups Links

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Armand Premo wrote:
"Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Steve Funaro release a Cabot
carbon black car some years ago?"

Yes.
http://fandckits.com/HOFreight/6310.html

Ted Culotta covered upgrading this kit in the March 2005 issue of
Railroad Model Craftsman.

Ben Hom

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 1, 2006, at 10:09 PM, Jon Miller wrote:

The single medallion scheme was applied to new cars built in 2-47<
What is the build data of this car, earlier than '47?
The first cars were built in 1933, and they were built in growing numbers through the 1930s and early 1940s. By the end of 1941, almost 400 cars were in service, the major owner/lessors being Cabot, Columbian Carbon, United Carbon, and Continental Carbon. I understand that decal sets for other owners than Cabot will be along later.

Richard Hendrickson

Shawn Beckert

List,

From the "Pure Speculation" Department: As I recall, the carbon
black companies didn't get a " modern" version of this car until
the ACF Centerflow of the mid-1960's. Ergo, is it safe to say that
the prototype of the Railshops kit would have seen service up to
our 1960 cutoff date, and maybe beyond?

Shawn Beckert

mcindoefalls

--- In STMFC@..., "Beckert, Shawn" <shawn.beckert@...> wrote:

Is it safe to say that
the prototype of the Railshops kit would have seen service up to
our 1960 cutoff date, and maybe beyond?
I've seen them more than ten years after that. There was also a newer,
'high cube' version.

Walt Lankenau

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 2, 2006, at 9:43 AM, Beckert, Shawn wrote:

From the "Pure Speculation" Department: As I recall, the carbon
black companies didn't get a " modern" version of this car until
the ACF Centerflow of the mid-1960's. Ergo, is it safe to say that
the prototype of the Railshops kit would have seen service up to
our 1960 cutoff date, and maybe beyond?
As usual, Shawn, your "pure speculation" is pretty good. Almost all of the carbon black cars built by AC&F from the early 1930s through the early 1950s remained in service into the 1960s (and later, in some cases).

Richard Hendrickson

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

"I understand that decal sets for other owners than Cabot will be along
later."

There will be lettering for at least two more schemes that I know of -
Charles E. Neujohnson (GACX 40306 blt. 4/47 and GACX 40318 blt. 4/48)
and Continental Carbon with script "Continental Dustless" (CCCX 358
blt. 5/47)

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
645 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, CT 06437
info@...
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

Jon Miller <atsf@...>