K Brake rebuilding to AB brakes on tank cars after 1954 bans

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 22, 2006, at 9:23 PM, Matthew Sugerman wrote:

Would this type of "retro-fit" apply to other types of
cars also??? I have Tichy flat I need to convert to
an AB brake...
Essentially, yes, and it was usually easier to retro-fit AB brakes on flat and house cars than on tank cars because there were substantial underframe cross-ties and side sills to which mountings for the AB reservoir and valve could be attached. There was a lot of variation in where those components were located, however, so it's best to have photos if you can find them.

Richard Hendrickson

Matt S.

Would this type of "retro-fit" apply to other types of
cars also??? I have Tichy flat I need to convert to
an AB brake...

Matt Sugerman,
Ft. Worth, TX

Posted by: "Richard Hendrickson"
rhendrickson@... hendrickson444
Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:29 pm (PST)
On Aug 21, 2006, at 1:19 PM, stefanelaine wrote:

As I understand it, K brakes were banned in
interchange on tank cars
as of October 1, 1953 and had a final ban (returning
cars)by January
1, 1954.

Is there evidence that there was a large scale
rebuilding of tank cars
to equip them with AB brakes at this time or were
many of the cars
scrapped then?
The appliction of AB equipment to most cars did not
involve
"rebuilding." Standard practice was to fit the AB
cylinder onto the
mounting where the KC cylinder/reservoir were
originally installed and
then add frame outriggers as needed to support the
separate AB valve
and reservoir. There are many photos of cars so
modified. Notable
exceptions were UTL's "Van Dyke" frameless tank cars,
built early in
the 20th century with heavy tank bottom sheets and no
center sills. As
the surviving "Van Dyke" cars were very old by 1953
and there was no
simple way to attach AB equipment, they were retired
without receiving
AB brakes.

Was there any "grace" period?
No.

By 1954-55 should I expect to be running only AB
equipped tank cars
(since interchanged privately owned cars
predominate)?

Yes.

Richard Hendrickson

If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes...

http://mail.yahoo.com

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

stefanelaine wrote:

As I understand it, K brakes were banned in interchange on tank cars
as of October 1, 1953 and had a final ban (returning cars)by January
1, 1954.

Is there evidence that there was a large scale rebuilding of tank cars
to equip them with AB brakes at this time or were many of the cars
scrapped then?

Was there any "grace" period?
Stefan,

It was in the early-to-mid 1930's that the ICC mandated the use of AB Brakes. All new freight cars built afterwards had to have AB Brake Systems. Freight Cars built prior to the Mandate were to be retrofitted with AB Brake Systems - IIRC, the first date was 1/1/1946. The date that this was to be accomplished kept being pushed back first due to the Depression, and then WW II.

Effectively, most of the retrofitting was started after WW II particularly in the late 1940's. Many roads had to examine their freight car fleets, and decide which cars built before the early 1930's were worth retrofitting, and what cars were not worth it. If you compare the freight car roster of any road as published in a WW II ORER with one in the early 1950's, you might be able to figure out which car series were not retrofitted as they had mostly disappeared from the 1950's ORER's.

Another guide to what car series were retrofitted is whether the cars were given post-War heralds and slogans - the shopping for the retrofit provided a dandy opportunity to repaint the car.

Tim Gilbert

Richard Hendrickson

[...]

oliver

As I understand it, K brakes were banned in interchange on tank cars
as of October 1, 1953 and had a final ban (returning cars)by January
1, 1954.

Is there evidence that there was a large scale rebuilding of tank cars
to equip them with AB brakes at this time or were many of the cars
scrapped then?

Was there any "grace" period?

By 1954-55 should I expect to be running only AB equipped tank cars
(since interchanged privately owned cars predominate)?

Stefan