Oil companies

Charles Hladik

Jared,
There is a book titled "The Gas Station In America" that as I recall
listed all/most of the beginnings and mergers of oil companies up until 1990 or
so. Sorry, I don't remember author or publisher.
Chuck Hladik

Jared Harper <harper-brown@...>

Where can I look to find the relationships among some of the various
oil companies--Kanotex, Skelly, Sovereign, and Derby are the ones I am
mainly interested in.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Carrock1998@...

Jared,
There is a book titled "The Gas Station In America"

The title including the series it is from is: The Gas Station in America
(Creating the North American Landscape)

that as I recall
listed all/most of the beginnings and mergers of oil companies up until 1990
or
so. Sorry, I don't remember author

The author is John A. Jakle, Keith A. Sculle

The ISBN number for the book is 0801869196
or publisher

Sorry couldn't find out who the publisher was.

There was a reprint of the book done in 2002.
It is available from both Amazon and Barnes & Noble (used books)---you can
always check to see if others have it available.

Robert "Rocky" Jackson

Chuck Hladik

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Jared and Chuck:

Here's what you need:

OCLC 28927327
040 DLC
020 0801847230 (alk. paper) : $32.95
020 0801847249 (pbk. : alk. paper)
050 TL153 .J27 1994
082 338.4/762928/60973
100 Jakle, John A.
245 The gas station in America / John A. Jakle & Keith A. Sculle.
260 Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, c1994.
300 xi, 272 p. :ill., maps ; 27 cm.
440 Creating the North American landscape
504 Includes bibliographical references (p. 249-261) and index.
650 Service stations -- United States -- History.
650 Architecture -- United States -- 20th century.
650 Roadside architecture -- United States.

If you show this to any public or university librarian, they should be able to borrow it for you. There is also a 2002 edition from Johns Hopkins, but the 1994 edition has the most holding libraries listed on OCLC. The book might still be in print (check Amazon), and used copies are certainly floating about.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

RUTLANDRS@... wrote:

Jared,
There is a book titled "The Gas Station In America" that as I recall listed all/most of the beginnings and mergers of oil companies up until 1990 or so. Sorry, I don't remember author or publisher.
Chuck Hladik

Yahoo! Groups Links

Jim Williams <wwww5960@...>

Hi All........The book, "The American Gas Station", is by Michael Karl Witzel and published by Barnes and Noble in 1999. It was one of their in store "specials" when I found it in one of their bookstores........Best Jim Williams

Carrock1998@... wrote: Jared,

http://mail.yahoo.com