From: STMFC@... on behalf of Thomas M. Olsen
Sent: Thu 9/14/2006 4:43 AM
To: Steam Freight Car List
Subject: [STMFC] RE: Milwaukee Road Logos

Good morning,

For those whose interest is the Milwaukee Road, I have a question
regarding the tilted box logo. When did the Milwaukee institute the
change from the complex "Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific" tilted
box to the simplified "Milwaukee Road" tilted box? Were there any
freight equipment types that did not make the change when the new
simplified version was adopted, and if so, what were they and when were
they changed. Was there a cut-off date that made the change universal
system-wide?

Thanks in advance!

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

Yahoo! Groups Links

sctry <jgreedy@...>

Actually, the medallion change was officially made on February 2,
1953 when the corporate name CMStP&P was liftred in favor of the long
standing nickname "The Milwaukee Road". New equipment after this
date received the revised medallion as would subsequent repaints. To
date no corporate documentation has come to light that orders the
fleet to be re-letterred ASAP.

The initial order of FP7 ABC units were delivered without the
familiar cab side medallion. Instead, the nose door was emblazed
with a "Running Indian" medallion signifying the route of the
Hiawathas. CMStP&P medallions were applied in late 1951 and the TMR
medallions began to appear after December 3, 1953.

Strangly, even in the early 1960's, long after the Milwaukee had
adopted the UP's streamliner color scheme for the Milwaukee passenger
locomotives and cars, Erie-Built #7A in full yellow/gray streamliner
colors wore the older CMStP&P medallion.

John Greedy

--- In STMFC@..., "Thomas Baker" <bakert@...> wrote:

I believe that the simplified logo appeared for the first time in
the Official Guide in 1954, and that is about the same time that the
logo first appeared on freight equipment. As the freight equipment
was shopped, the newer logo was applied. For several years the older
logo with the full company name lingered on equipment. I think that
the early sets of ABA FP7 locomotives for the Twin Cities Hiawathas
even originally had the older logo on them, but I guess a photo would
provide undisputed evidence.

Tom

________________________________

For those whose interest is the Milwaukee Road, I have a question
regarding the tilted box logo. When did the Milwaukee institute the
change from the complex "Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific"
tilted
box to the simplified "Milwaukee Road" tilted box? Were there any
freight equipment types that did not make the change when the new
simplified version was adopted, and if so, what were they and when
were
they changed. Was there a cut-off date that made the change
universal
system-wide?

Thanks in advance!

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

Yahoo! Groups Links

Tony Thompson

John Greedy wrote:
Actually, the medallion change was officially made on February 2, 1953 when the corporate name CMStP&P was liftred in favor of the long standing nickname "The Milwaukee Road". New equipment after this date received the revised medallion as would subsequent repaints. To date no corporate documentation has come to light that orders the fleet to be re-letterred ASAP.
Was this also the date of the change of reporting marks to MILW?

Publishers of books on railroad history

Edward Dabler

In a message dated 9/16/2006 1:45:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,
rhendrickson@... writes:

On Sep 16, 2006, at 10:50 AM, Tim Gilbert wrote:

The MILW reporting marks were not recognized in the August 1931 ORER,
but were recognized in the January 1938 ORER.
MILW is not shown in the 7/35 ORER either

Richard Hendrickson

Richard

MILW reporting marks are in the 7/36 ORER.

Ed Dabler

MOFWCABOOSE@...

The July 1937 ORER states under the heading that the reporting mark for
Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad Company is "Milw.", but no cars are
yet listed under that reporting mark. All cars are still listed under the
older reporting marks, viz,
C., M. & St. P.; C., M., St. P. & P.; C., T. H. & S. E.; and S. I.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 15, 2006, at 8:43 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:

John Greedy wrote:
Actually, the medallion change was officially made on February 2, 1953
when the corporate name CMStP&P was liftred in favor of the long
standing nickname "The Milwaukee Road".
Was this also the date of the change of reporting marks to
MILW?
Obviously not, since photos show the MILW reporting marks in use as early as 1936.

Richard Hendrickson

Tony Thompson

I asked (in response to John Greedy's date of the MILW logo change):
Was this also the date of the change of reporting marks to MILW?
Richard Hendrickson replied:
Obviously not, since photos show the MILW reporting marks in use as early as 1936.
Glad to confirm this, as I did think it must have been earlier. Does someone have that date?

Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Tony,

The MILW reporting marks were not recognized in the August 1931 ORER, but were recognized in the January 1938 ORER.
Tim Gilbert

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@... <mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com>
Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 16, 2006, at 10:50 AM, Tim Gilbert wrote:

The MILW reporting marks were not recognized in the August 1931 ORER,
but were recognized in the January 1938 ORER.
MILW is not shown in the 7/35 ORER either

Richard Hendrickson

Thomas M. Olsen <tmolsen@...>

Good morning to all,

I just wanted to say thank you to John LaRue, Tony Thompson, Richard Hendrickson, John Greedy, Tom Baker, and Tim Gilbert, all of whom responded to my query concerning the old and new Milwaukee logos and their dates of use. Having chosen the end of 1953 as a cut off has placed me a time when changes were made, not only on the PRR, but with many roads. It was good to see that my question generated a good deal of information which was of great help to me, but also to others on the list that may have had the same questions. It goes to show the generosity of the members on this list who share their time and knowledge and showing that there is great value in being a subscriber to this list which Mike hosts!

Best regards,

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch,
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479