Ann Arbor Box Cars

Russ Strodtz <sheridan@...>

A question:

Ann Arbor was said to have purchased 100 PS-1 40'
box cars from Pullman Standard in 1956.

The N&W absorbs the Wabash, does not want the Ann
Arbor, and sells it to the DT&I. Somewhere in this
transaction the 100 fairly new box cars disappear.

Where did they go?

Russ

Rob Adams

Russ;

The 1956-built AA 300-399 series PS-1 box cars with 6' doors went to the Baltimore & Ohio sometime after 1964 (Now we're out of STMFC scope). Not being particularly knowledgeable about the B&O, I'm not sure what number series they became.

Best regards, Rob Adams

--
Rob Adams
Wellman, IA

jim_mischke <jmischke@...>

B&O picked up a number of 1956-built Ann Arbor PS-1 boxcars during
1964. They became class M-67a (with 6-foot door openings) and class
M-67b (with 8' door openings).

They were acquired by B&O from United States Railway Equipment
Leasing, from whom Ann Arbor probably leased these cars from in the
first place (speculation). One way to tell is if the Ann Arbor
boxcars had the little USA outline logo on them too.

B&O's original own PS-1 boxcars were class M-67, unique in that they
were 10'-0" inside height for systemwide clearance restrictions and
for possible use in Timesaver LCL service. Pullman Standard
promotional literature at the time dubbed them "Package Cars".

--- In STMFC@..., Rob Adams <steamera@...> wrote:

Russ;

The 1956-built AA 300-399 series PS-1 box cars with 6' doors went
to the
Baltimore & Ohio sometime after 1964 (Now we're out of STMFC
scope).
Not being particularly knowledgeable about the B&O, I'm not sure
what
number series they became.

Best regards, Rob Adams

--
Rob Adams
Wellman, IA
steamera@...
Modeling the CB&Q RR's Keokuk & Western branch,
along with connecting Wabash and CRI&P operations, circa 1938
<http://www.KeokukandWesternRR.com>

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Jim,

Good data on the B&O cars, but 10' IH PS-1s were hardly unique to the B&O. A look at Ed Hawkins' published rosters in the old DING and RMJ will show you several other groups of 10' IH cars. Those of the New Haven come immediately to mind (sorry, I'm at work and can't cite the numbers).

There were even a few 50' PS-1s Navy to a 10' IH and a 1 1/2 door configuration. One of these is preserved at the Western Railway Museum in California.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Chet French <cfrench@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "jim_mischke" <jmischke@...> wrote:

B&O picked up a number of 1956-built Ann Arbor PS-1 boxcars during
1964. They became class M-67a (with 6-foot door openings) and
class
M-67b (with 8' door openings).

They were acquired by B&O from United States Railway Equipment
Leasing, from whom Ann Arbor probably leased these cars from in the
first place (speculation). One way to tell is if the Ann Arbor
boxcars had the little USA outline logo on them too.

B&O's original own PS-1 boxcars were class M-67, unique in that
they
were 10'-0" inside height for systemwide clearance restrictions and
for possible use in Timesaver LCL service. Pullman Standard
promotional literature at the time dubbed them "Package Cars".

The Ann Arbor's 200 PS-1's with 8-foot door openings were built by
Pullman Standard in 1957 and numbered 1200-1399. They had the
following trust plates.

Ann Arbor Railroad Equipment
Trust, Series C:
The Boatmen's National Bank
Of St Louis
Trustee, Owner, and Lessor

This same trust series also covered the 400-499 series PS-1's with
six foot door openings built by P-S in 1957.

Chet French
Dixon, IL

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Ed,

Thanks for the link to the roster.

I found D&LW 35000-35199, NH 34500-34999 and NH 35000-35999 with a 10' IH. There are no B&O cars on your list, so I assume that they were built by the B&O from Pullman kits.

Have you ever studied how many cars were built from Pullman parts by the railroads themselves? I know the IC had some riveted 8' door cars which do not appear in your rosters, though photos of them appeared in the old DING articles. I built a model of one of these using a Front Range body with Intermountain ends, roof, underframe and details.

I notice that you have added WP 1952-1953, which were missing from your original published lists. You say these were rebuilt. If so, from what. Demonstrators? According to my information they were initially leased from Pullman to test cushioned underframes (two different types). Eventually the cars were purchased outright, though I don't know when. One was off the roster some time in the 1960s, but the other survived well into the roller bearing era. As can be noted from your list, they were the only WP PS-1s with 6' doors. They were initially painted orange with black lettering (the scheme Roundhouse offered on their 40' AAR boxcar years ago).

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Ed Hawkins wrote:

On Sep 22, 2006, at 10:16 AM, Garth Groff wrote:

Good data on the B&O cars, but 10' IH PS-1s were hardly unique to the
B&O. A look at Ed Hawkins' published rosters in the old DING and RMJ
will show you several other groups of 10' IH cars. Those of the New
Haven come immediately to mind (sorry, I'm at work and can't cite the
numbers).
Garth,
These references were quite a few years ago. Updated rosters of 40' and 50' PS-1s are on the STMFC web site.

http://www.steamfreightcars.com/prototype/frtcars/protofrtcarsmain.html

Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Yahoo! Groups Links

Ed Hawkins

On Sep 22, 2006, at 11:26 AM, Garth Groff wrote:

[...]

My published PS-1 lists include only cars built by P-S and delivered to
the railroad, private owner, or government agency. B&O built 400 cars
from PS-1 kits at Dubois, Pennsylvania in 1957 (series 470600-470999)
that were 10' inside height and had welded sides and overhanging roofs.
IC built 2,585 cars from PS-1 kits at Centralia, Illinois from
1954-1957. These include 22000-23499 in 1954 and 23500-23534 in 1955
(all with 6' door openings) and 3900-3999 in 1957 (all with 8' door
openings). All IC PS-1s were built with riveted sides and had straight
side sills between the bolsters. I recently acquired two good photos
from the IC 3900-3999 series from Bob's Photo, but I haven't had much
luck finding photos of cars from the 22000-23534 series.

I've not been able to find out the origin of WP 1952-1953. They were
"rebuilt" by P-S as a job order (no lot number like is usually the case
for new cars).
Regards,
Ed Hawkins