Longevity and numbers of M&StL double sheathed boxcars

Mark Heiden

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some information regarding some Minneapolis & St Louis
36ft double sheathed, truss rod boxcars. Two photos are available on
the NEB&W website at:

http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/rolling-stock/Soph-Marty/XM-shorty-M&StL-
26000-6-SDM.jpg

http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/rolling-stock/Soph-Marty/XM-shorty-M&StL-
26250-from-Propst.jpg

The NEB&W website simply lists the cars as belonging to the 26000
series. Does anyone know the complete number series, and was the
numbering even or odd? Also, were any of these cars still in
interchange service in the late 1940s?

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

I'm at work, so I don't have access to any info other than to say these
were 36' cars with three different end bracing treatments in the same
number series. All M&StL box cars were even numbered all other car
types were odd numbered. The cars Soph protographed were at one of the
local cement plants, there were four of them. I think they went to the
Boone & Scenic Valley with the L&M caboose and wood side dump jennies.
There's an in service photo in one of the RP Cycs.
Later,
Clark Propst

Douglas Harding

Mark, according to Gene Green the cars in question were ex-W&LE/NKP 36'
steel ctrsill box cars w/truss cars purchased used by the M&StL in 1938. The
# series was 26000 to 26418 even #'s, total of 210 cars. They lasted on the
RR until 1944. I am not aware of any models that match, and Gene does not
show any models for these cars in his recently updated M&StL model list.

Doug Harding
Iowa Central Railroad
www.iowacentralrr.org