RED not BLACK, not Brown, was Re: Tichy NC&StL Flat Car

Bruce Smith

On Nov 12, 2006, at 11:04 PM, Rob Adams wrote:

John;

Paul is correct about the discussion in the archives, but they were
painted black, not freight car red/brown.

Kind regards, Rob Adams
Rob,

Au contraire! Garrett Rea tried to clear up this mess back on October 24, 2005 on this list with the following statement:
"I spoke with Steve Johnson at length about these and other cars this
past April before James Bilbrey and I put together our NC&StL freight
car modelling clinc and thick booklet this past May. Steve's
comments than and again this weekend along with builder and in-
service photo review still steer us to oxide red for the cars."

The RPI site notes the controversy and attributes boxcar red to Richard Hendrickson and black to the same Steve Johnson, but based on this discussion last year (which I precipitated), my Tichy NC&StL flat is oxide red. Now to swap out those ECW Dalman trucks for the Tahoe ones!

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the
windshield."
__
/ \
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Rob Adams

Bruce;

Mea culpa! Before responding last night, I searched my STMFC archive, quickly saw Mont Switzer's message that started out "don't make the same mistake I did", and went on to confirm that they should be black (which incidentally, also validated what I'd been told several years ago in a message forwarded to me by Jim Six, originating from a supposed expert on the NC&StL). I failed to dig further into the STMFC thread, and apologize for further confusing the issue.

This lingering confusion must serendipitously account for why my long built-up Tichy flat remains unpainted. (and may well remain so for a while)

Kind regards,

Rob Adams (now waiting for that COLOR builders photo of a the 1923 or 1926-built NC&StL flat) ;-)

http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/ <http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/%7Esmithbf/>

--
Rob Adams
Wellman, IA

Brian J Carlson <brian@...>

If they are boxcar red, anyone have a good match? I have one waiting for
paint.

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

--
Rob Adams
Wellman, IA
steamera@netins.net
Modeling the CB&Q RR's Keokuk & Western branch,
along with connecting Wabash and CRI&P operations, circa 1938
<http://www.KeokukandWesternRR.com>

Yahoo! Groups Links

golden1014

Bruce, Rob and All,

Thanks much for the help. I do admit to not searching the archives
before I asked the question, so if I see you guys at Cocoa I'll be
buying. My two old cars are almost ready for paint and I'll search
for a nice dull shade of oxide to finish them off.

I don't recall noticing that the cars had Dalman trucks--I'll have
to go check my CBC photo of the car.

Again, thanks for the assist.

John

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

__<+--+>________________&#92;__/___
________________________________
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __
__ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; |
||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-
0

Rob Adams

Hi John;

According to the message I have from a Mr. A.L. O'Toole via Jim Six in Feb of 2000, the May, 1923-built NC&StL 70100-70199 series cars had early U-section cast steel trucks (Maybe use the Accurail 'Bettendorf" truck??) and KD brakes. Apparently the builder's photo of NC&StL 70138 is on page 5 of the June 1993 issue of RMJ (I don't seem to have this one so can't verify).

The same correspondence reports that the 1926-built 70200-70299 series cars had Dalman 2-level trucks and KD brakes.

Of course, Mr. O'Toole reported the cars to be painted that other color. Not freight car red. ;-)

We missed you at Naperville.

Best regards, Rob

0
--
Rob Adams
Wellman, IA
steamera@netins.net
Modeling the CB&Q RR's Keokuk & Western branch, along with connecting Wabash and CRI&P operations, circa 1938
<http://www.KeokukandWesternRR.com>

golden1014

Gentlemen,

In a few moments I'm going to post a photo of the NC&StL flat in the
photos section from the 1931 CBC. Good view of this series of cars
with Dalman trucks.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

0