End Sill Brake Hose Hanger

David Karkoski <karkoskd@...>

Does anyone on the list know of a source for the end sill brake pipe
hanger cast in either brass or styrene? HO scale. This is the built up
hanger that is found in Sunshine kits and seems to be quite common on
freight cars.

I have very little luck cleaning up, drilling and mounting the ones
provided in the Sunshine kits. They are also a fragile part once on the
car.

Thanks,

David Karkoski

Justin May <jmay59@...>

Does anyone on the list know of a source for the end sill brake pipe hanger cast in either brass or styrene? HO scale. This is the built up hanger that is found in Sunshine kits and seems to be quite common on freight cars.
David,
I've had very good results with the Kadee styrene hose assemblies and associated hangers. While the hoses are a little on the thick side, they can be cleaned up with a straight edge to provide a thinner profile. The hangers are some of the best I've used and when detailed similarly to the car, the results are worth the time and effort to reduce the hose.

http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page151.htm

Justin May

Charles Hladik

Denny,
For years I have been using the remains of the wire from micro bulbs,
it's real "rubber" and flexible. You can even attach the glad hands of your
choice. Works great for mu hoses also. In O scale I go to a larger wire.
Good Luck,
Chuck Hladik
Rutland Railroad
Virginia Division

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

This is a timely subject that has my attention as we speak.

To my knowledge, only two suppliers produce brake hoses *with hangers*: Kadee and Bowser (Cal-Scale). The latter can be purchased in either plastic or brass, and is apparently a new reissued item in their catalogue. I have not yet seen them.

PSC produces brake hoses, but no hangers that I can find. No supplier packages hangers for separate sale.

I have used the Kadees with their fine hangers for some years.

More and more modelers are removing (or not installing) the magnetic glad hands on their couplers. This alone makes the easily-perceived see-through 'space' below the couplers quite empty, a visual defect that has in turn motivated wholesale brake hose installation among many of us who have been otherwise in the past not been overly inclined to do so. The resulting effect is great.

However (however...), in the ordinary handling of these cars in routine careful operations, these plastic hoses simply do not stand up, and I am constantly finding them broken scattered along the right of way (just like the prototype :-)). Frustration can arise pretty fast because the hoses break off, leaving a stub in the hanger- which of course is then no longer usable. I have currently suspended repairs on these cars, and I currently have far too many fine cars with broken-off brake hose stubs.

The ideal would be brass or at least Delrin hoses, with either plastic or brass hangers . The Kadee mounts are pretty fine (as mentioned). The Cal Scale mounts are as yet unknown (to me), although a respected colleague has opined that 'if these were the mounts originally produced by Cal Scale [or Bowser] some years ago, they at that time did not look very good'.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento

Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>

The brake hose hanger included with some Sunshine kits is a different style
than the Kadee type. Looked at from the side, the Sunshine hanger looks like
a hollow triangle extending about a foot beyond the end sill. I'd like to
see this part available in a break-resistant material. It would be another
step forward in accuracy for us rivet counters.

Jim Hayes

Portland Oregon

Schuyler Larrabee

The brake hose hanger included with some Sunshine kits is a
different style than the Kadee type. Looked at from the side,
the Sunshine hanger looks like a hollow triangle extending
about a foot beyond the end sill. I'd like to see this part
available in a break-resistant material. It would be another
step forward in accuracy for us rivet counters.

Jim Hayes
Second vote for these. In brass, please.

SGL