Topics

Offal is as offal does . . .

Peter Weiglin

Clark Propst wrote --

"Doug Harding has made a couple of convincing gon loads. They were
featured in his packinghouse presentation."

Yes, and Doug may dive in here. But in a post-presentation conversation, Doug mentioned that the "blood and guts" gondola load was painted using paint colors from the "Military Minature" shelf. Yes, they do assume that a modeler would want to replicate wounds correctly. So, there's a source for the correct paint colors.

Doug's consultant was the military-modeling son of a well-known California railroad modeler whom I will not identify here, for his own security.

Peter Weiglin
Amelia, OH

Douglas Harding

Peter, for some reason I think it best that the words "dive-in" and "offal"
should never be used together in the same paragraph, let alone the same
sentence.

As to the afore mentioned loads, yes they were painted by a 14 year old
fantasy modeler who lead me to the "right" paints to use. And a former
packing house gon loader and verified that the "colors" are right. Now the
big question is, and I have asked this before, what kind of cars would be
used in this service, and would they, like hide cars, never again be used
for anything else?

It has been suggeted that a steal gon could simply be hosed out and reused
for about any service, so any could have been used. I suspect that drop
bottom gons were not used due to leakage, but I have learned to never say
never, and having witnessed trucks carrying similar loads I know leakage is
not a concern of the hauler. Further in earlier years would a wood bodied
gon be pressed into offal service? One story I have speaks of a burro crane
with a clamshell bucket being used to empty these gons. Such a setup could
be hard on wood cars, I suspect.

Doug Harding
Iowa Central Railroad
www.iowacentralrr.org

4:48 PM

Gatwood, Elden J SAD <Elden.J.Gatwood@...>

Doug;
Al Buchan and other ex-PRR guys told me that they used old, near their end,
steel-floored gons that had been "sealed" for the liquid, which it largely
was on its surface. Those involved told me that you could not see much in
the liquid, but that it resembled a yellow white frothy slime on its surface.
It smelled like you suspect.

There would be no one to say for sure if they were never used for anything
else, but would you accept a car that smelled like that, unless you were so
desperate you had to? One apocryphal story I heard was that a full shipment
of offal was left sitting around in various locations in the Pgh area for
days, and that those in charge at each yard would just ship it out somewhwere
else, to get rid of it. Thus, it ended up at various yards.

Al's story about one gon sloshing its contents on to an ROW is a classic.

Elden