SOUTHERN PACIFIC B-50-12A REBUILT BOX CAR

Fred Mullins

Folks,
I would like to learn more about this car. When was it rebuilt and
from what class of car? When did the rebuilding take place and how
long did these cars stay on the rails? Is sunshine still making these
cars? Does anybody else make them in HO? also can anybody point me to
some photos of these cars? I'm looking for end detail shots as well.
Thanks for any help!
Merry Christmas
Fred Mullins

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Fred Mullins wrote:
I would like to learn more about this car. When was it rebuilt and from what class of car? When did the rebuilding take place and how long did these cars stay on the rails?
It may not surprise you, Fred, that these were rebuilt from Class B-50-12. Those were USRA single-sheathed cars, of which SP received 1000 units. They were rebuilt starting in the late summer of 1949 and continuing for a couple of years. Roughly 650 were rebuilt and all other survivors either went to MOW service or were scrapped. They lasted into the 1960s.

also can anybody point me to some photos of these cars? I'm looking for end detail shots as well.
Thanks for any help!
I'm not aware if there are many photos on line. The Lee Gautreaux site is one option (if you don't know the URL, please ask). If you want a reference to a book which has thirty or so photos of the cars, including the rebuilding process, please ask. I don't want to be accused of "MAKING YOU BUY A BOOK."

Publishers of books on railroad history

Paul Lyons

There is an article and and series of photos about the re-building of these cars in a long past Mainline Modeler. I do not know the issue.

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Paul Lyons wrote:
"There is an article and and series of photos about the re-building of
these cars in a long past Mainline Modeler. I do not know the issue."

"Southern Pacific B-50-12-A", Pat O'Boyle, Mainline Modeler, October
1992, page 62. Popped right up when I did a Title text search for "B-
50-12" at http://index.mrmag.com .

Ben Hom

Fred Mullins

Tony,
Thanks for the response. I guess I shoulld have figured that being a
"a" sub class what they were rebuilt from. But I know very little
about the SP.
If someone could give me both a website address and a name of books
that has info I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Fred Mullins

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Fred Mullins wrote:
Tony,
Thanks for the response. I guess I shoulld have figured that being a
"a" sub class what they were rebuilt from. But I know very little
about the SP.
If someone could give me both a website address and a name of books
that has info I would appreciate it.
I will send you the book reference and website off-list to avoid provoking the whiners on the list.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Paul Lyons

Amazing Ben(tongue in cheek), and no one had to buy a book!

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

"There is an article and and series of photos about the re-building of
these cars in a long past Mainline Modeler. I do not know the issue."

"Southern Pacific B-50-12-A", Pat O'Boyle, Mainline Modeler, October
1992, page 62. Popped right up when I did a Title text search for "B-
50-12" at http://index.mrmag.com .

Ben Hom

woodyp48

FYI: pat o'boyle, aka pacific limited, who wrote the article, also
imported these cars in 5 versions back in the day. photos also
appeared in his ads in mainline modeler in that time frame.

woody grosdoff

Jim & Lisa Hayes <jimandlisa97225@...>

The Sunshine kit was introduced in 1992 but has been discontinued.

Jim Hayes

Portland Oregon

_____