Athearn C&EI Caboose

Paul Hillman

Athearn is advertising the coming of an "Eastern 2 Window Caboose".
Upon calling them, they told me that this would be released in April,
2007. It's said to be a MDC re-release?

Just wondering if anyone might have an idea of it's authenticity to the
C&EI protoype. I have a photo of C&EI #5 and it looks quite similar.
The CEIHS said that they think it's very "close", and that #'s 1-6 were
acquired in 1947.

Thanks, Paul Hillman

Fritz Milhaupt

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Paul & Bernice Hillman"
<chris_hillman@...> wrote:

Athearn is advertising the coming of an "Eastern 2 Window Caboose".
Upon calling them, they told me that this would be released in April,
2007. It's said to be a MDC re-release?

Just wondering if anyone might have an idea of it's authenticity to the
C&EI protoype. I have a photo of C&EI #5 and it looks quite similar.
The CEIHS said that they think it's very "close", and that #'s 1-6 were
acquired in 1947.

Thanks, Paul Hillman

Actually, from what I remember of the photo I saw of one of the C&EI
cabooses a couple years ago, the Atlas Trainman caboose is far closer
to what C&EI #1-6 looked like. See
http://www.atlastrainman.com/HOFreight/tmhocupcab.htm

I'd describe the MDC caboose as "the model closest to C&EI #1-6 that
Horizon manufactures," but there's a closer model out there. It hasn't
been released in C&EI paint yet, but I think that's just a matter of
waiting for one of the next runs.

-Fritz Milhaupt
Web Guy and Modeling Editor, Pere Marquette Historical Society, Inc.
http://www.pmhistsoc.org

Charlie Vlk

The old MDC car is a composite prototype. Either Athearn or MDC tooled a new, more eastern-looking cupola to replace the AT&SF/Rock Island style one previously used on the car, but it still is a rework of a very old Roundhouse car (maybe even dating back to the metal line).
Charlie Vlk

Paul Hillman

Fritz,

The Atlas Trainman caboose looks very close.

The CEIHS wrote, about the Athearn car:
I believe it is farily close to the C&EI caboose. They show up in the
diagram book dated May 23, 1950 as #1-6. They were built in 1947 by
ACF and were 31'-1" on the top running board. The body was 24'-8 1/8"
from end to end.

I don't know yet what diagram book they refer too. But I guess I
should take my scale-rulers and photos down to my hobby shop and
compare.

Thanks, Paul Hillman