Topics

Builder's paint

Dean Payne <deanpayne@...>

Bruce Smith (likely with tongue deeply in cheek) wrote:
I suppose I ought to call it "greywash" <G>. Was this a regular
paint, or was it temporary and washed off the car after the photo
was taken? I ask in part because multiple layers of paint right off
the bat might change the Lt Weight of the car compared to cars that
did not get this paint.

Yes, it was washed off, lettering and all, and no, it would
certainly not affect light weight to the nearest 100 pounds. If you
want to make a quick computation of the weight of a paint layer over
the whole car, feel free. I've done this in the past when
attempting to determine how much lead there would be in such layers
of lead-base paints.

Publishers of books on railroad history
According to John Corns, on page 117 of "The Wheeling and Lake Erie
Volume 2" the W&LE had a few gons in builders' paint ("white lead
with black lettering") that "remarkably" were used to haul coal, "as
verified by photographs". The first of these gons were built in Nov.
1946.
Please note that neither I nor the author think this was anything
close to common, indeed, this may be a single isolated incident.
Don't try this at home! However, I thought it would be interesting
to add to the discussion. I can't imagine how these would look after
a few loads of coal... I wonder what would have caused this unusual
occurance? A severe gon shortage?
Dean Payne

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

few gons in builders' paint ("white lead
with black lettering")<
While I don't wish to prolong this discussion "white lead" is what houses were painted with in my childhood back east. I always thought white lead was a permanent paint.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

While I don't wish to prolong this discussion "white lead" is
what houses were painted with in my childhood back east.
I always thought white lead was a permanent paint.
White lead was the pigment. The primary vehicle was boiled linseed oil.
Probably a case where the painters accidentally used boiled linseed instead
of some other solvent and the mixture actually became paint. Everybody has a
bad day once in a while.<G>

Dan Stinson
Helena, Montana