NC & St L BOX CARS in 1950

matt

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me the break down of Box cars for the N C & St L in
1950?

Vents
DS
SS Fowler
SS
50' SS
40 ' Steel
50' steel
other

total ?

Thanks for your help

Matt Strickland

laramielarry <ostresh@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "matthewjstrickland"
<matthewjstrickland@...> wrote:

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me the break down of Box cars for the N C & St L in
1950?

Vents
DS
SS Fowler
SS
50' SS
40 ' Steel
50' steel
other

total ?

Thanks for your help

Matt Strickland
Hi Matt

Here is some data from the July, 1950, ORER - an Excel file is
available for free download on the Steam Era Freight Car Analysis
(STEFA) site.

Start End IL ft IL in Qty Built Type
3000 3249 36 0 161 ?
15100 16099 36 0 132 SS
16100 16599 36 0 445 ?
17800 17844 39 6 44 STEEL
18000 18499 40 6 483 1937 32ARA
18500 18999 40 6 496 1942 37AAR
19000 19499 40 6 497 1947 44AAR
20000 21399 36 3 1,193 STEEL

I don't have the type for the first and third series, but I'm sure
others in the group will know them.

Best wishes, Larry Ostresh

<matthewjstrickland@...> wrote:

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me the break down of Box cars for the N C & St L in
1950?

Vents
DS
SS Fowler
SS
50' SS
40 ' Steel
50' steel
other

total ?

Thanks for your help

Matt Strickland
Sorry, the table in my last post was unreadable!

Start-End IL Qty Built Type
3000-3249 36'0" 161 ? ?
15100-16099 36'0" 132 ? SS(not Fowler)
16100-16599 36'0" 445 ? ?
17800-17844 39'6" 44 ? STEEL
18000-18499 40'6" 483 1937 32ARA
18500-18999 40'6" 496 1942 37AAR
19000-19499 40'6" 497 1947 44AAR
20000-21399 36'3" 1,193 ? STEEL

Larry

al_brown03

NC&StL 16100-16599 were 36' SS cars similar to 15100-16099, but
taller (IH 8'6" vs 8'). There's a Winters photo of NC&StL 16453 in
Mainline Modeler 4/86, p 57. The article is on "Dominion" cars (same
thing as "Fowlers"); these are included as close-but-not-quites.

There's also a photo of NC&StL 16524 in Castner's NC&StL book, p 53.
The boxcar is coupled to a side-door caboose Bob Richardson for some
reason was interested in :-), but the picture shows both cars well.

NC&StL 3000-3249 were 36' DS cars similar to Southern's SU class. I
have a note that there's a photo of NC&StL 3192 in Don Ball's "Decade
of the Trains", showing Hutchins ends, but I don't have the book here
and lack a page reference.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

generalrailwaysignal <GRSJr@...>

Here is some data from the July, 1950, ORER - an Excel file is
available for free download on the Steam Era Freight Car Analysis
(STEFA) site.
Can you give me a specific URL? I can't find the place to download the
ORER spreadsheet.

laramielarry <ostresh@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "generalrailwaysignal" <GRSJr@...>
wrote:

Here is some data from the July, 1950, ORER - an Excel file is
available for free download on the Steam Era Freight Car Analysis
(STEFA) site.
Can you give me a specific URL? I can't find the place to download
the
ORER spreadsheet.
The file is on the Steam Era Freight Car Analysis (STEFA) site. To
access it, you will first need to become a member of the group:

Post message: STEFA@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: STEFA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

STEFA's home page is:

Once you are there, go to the Files section.

Best wishes,
Larry Ostresh