Topics

questions for Ted Culotta

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Ted Culotta <tculotta@...> wrote:
I will also add that I am offering ..... one of the nicest resin kits I
have seen in awhile, that replicates the CN's most numerous group of
36' Dominion/Fowler cars.

Ted, I agree that new kit looks terrific and I've been thinking about
buying one even though I'm planning to move in the near future (with no
idea where I'm going).

Are the trucks hard to get? I haven't seen any magazine ads for the
cars.

How are the sales on the FOF single sheathed box car book coming? I
hoping that another book in the series will come out soon.

Ed

pierreoliver2003 <pierre.oliver@...>

The CN Fowlers have been photographed on Arch-bar trucks, "Bettendorf"
style, as well as "Simplex Bolster" trucks. Life-Like was offering
Simplex Bolster trucks, but a recent attempt by my local hobby shop to
order some from Walthers meet with failure. However TrueLine Trains is
showing on their website that they are now offering a Simplex Bolster
truck. Can't find the URL right now. Will continue looking.
Pierre Oliver

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Pierre Oliver wrote:
The CN Fowlers have been photographed on Arch-bar trucks, "Bettendorf" style, as well as "Simplex Bolster" trucks.
Let's be sure we are clear on something (Pierre knows this, I'm certain). The Simplex bolster was a replacement part (a one-piece cast truck bolster). It is true that there were Simplex TRUCKS, but use of a Simplex bolster in any sideframe does NOT make it a Simplex truck. SP was among the railroads which evidently liked the Simplex bolsters, and they can be seen in photos as part of several different brands of trucks.
The Simplex bolster end is distinctive and I don't mean to cast aspersions on a model truck which contains that bolster.

Publishers of books on railroad history

Doug Rhodes

The Life Like name was used under license in Canada by Hobbycraft. Some of the Canadian products stayed with Hobbycraft and are now marketed under the True Line Trains marque. Try this URL for those trucks: http://www.hobbycraft.com/tlt/html/accessories.html

HTH
Doug Rhodes

The CN Fowlers have been photographed on Arch-bar trucks, "Bettendorf"
style, as well as "Simplex Bolster" trucks. Life-Like was offering
Simplex Bolster trucks, but a recent attempt by my local hobby shop to
order some from Walthers meet with failure. However TrueLine Trains is
showing on their website that they are now offering a Simplex Bolster
truck. Can't find the URL right now. Will continue looking.
Pierre Oliver

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "ed_mines" <ed_mines@...> wrote:

> --- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Ted Culotta <tculotta@> wrote:
> I will also add that I am offering ..... one of the nicest resin kits I
> have seen in awhile, that replicates the CN's most numerous group of
> 36' Dominion/Fowler cars.
>
> Ted, I agree that new kit looks terrific and I've been thinking about
> buying one even though I'm planning to move in the near future (with no
> idea where I'm going).
>
> Are the trucks hard to get? I haven't seen any magazine ads for the
> cars.
>
> How are the sales on the FOF single sheathed box car book coming? I
> hoping that another book in the series will come out soon.
>
> Ed

pierreoliver2003 <pierre.oliver@...>

Actually, Tony, I was not aware that the Simplex bolster was a
replacement part. Thanks for the knowledge. One of the perks of this
site is learning the tiny details.
Now it begs the question, isn't it ironic that the big guys used
aftermarket parts as well. :-)
Pierre Oliver

Let's be sure we are clear on something (Pierre knows this, I'm
certain). The Simplex bolster was a replacement part (a one-piece cast
truck bolster). It is true that there were Simplex TRUCKS, but use of a
Simplex bolster in any sideframe does NOT make it a Simplex truck. SP
was among the railroads which evidently liked the Simplex bolsters, and
they can be seen in photos as part of several different brands of
trucks.
The Simplex bolster end is distinctive and I don't mean to
cast
aspersions on a model truck which contains that bolster.

Publishers of books on railroad history

tmolsen@...

Pierre and List,

I bought a dozen pair of the Life-Like of Canada Simplex Bolster trucks when they came out in the fall of 2004 from Canadian Model Trains Inc. in Mississauga, Ontario.

The part number at that time was 433-212560 and the description was as follows: LL Proto [1938 AAR Trucks With Simplex Bolsters (PR)] [Used On Rolling Stock from 1938 To Date In Canada & The USA]

If the group's archives go back to about that time there was a long discussion regarding these trucks and their suitability for use with the various versions of the Fowler and dominion cars.

You may try them to see if they are still available. CMT's number is 1-866-862-7277 and ask for Steve. I have just bought Sylvan kits and the Canadian Rolling Stock Series soft-cover books from them.

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@udel.edu

W.R.Dixon

pierreoliver2003 wrote:
The CN Fowlers have been photographed on Arch-bar trucks, "Bettendorf"
style, as well as "Simplex Bolster" trucks. Life-Like was offering
Simplex Bolster trucks, but a recent attempt by my local hobby shop to
order some from Walthers meet with failure.
I believe that the Simplex truck was a Life-Like Canada product and thus is now a Trueline Trains product and thus is not available from Walthers under the P2K name.

Bill Dixon